Why must the sand filter be so slow??

Sabrinavoll

Mar 10, 2019
Ohio
Hi all - I created an account a little while ago when I started this journey, but have since just read up on what I can and gone from there. I am definitely progressing in the right direction, but just want to know if any of you that have seen this a million times over have an idea of how long it will take for this sand filter to clear the pool? Unfortunately because of issues with the liner, I can't get water to skimmer level and can't put DE in. We're pumping only out of the main drain for now.

Backstory:
Bought a house last September. Person who built the home owned a now defunct pool company. All we know is the pool was installed sometime between 1992 when the house was built and 2006 when the foreclosure process started. There was a permit issued in 06, but I don't know if that's reliable. Second owner who bought the home after the foreclosure removed the cover from the pool in 2008 and left it. They took the pump out, they took the filter out, and they just left the pool to turn into a swamp. That was one of many odd things they did, but definitely the most confusing.

Fast forward to March of this year, we started cleaning out the frogs, tadpoles, crawfish, and leaves. We got it to the point where just weren't getting anything else out of the bottom and decided to purchase the pump and filter after testing the lines (except the main drain, but it seems to be fine). The pump and filter were installed on 4/17. It is now 4/25 and I've finally gotten the pump to run at full speed for several hours. It was hairy at first!! I work from home but I've taken this week mostly off to brush this pool, skim the remaining debris out, keep the chlorine levels at SLAM levels, and monitor the pump. I will say, the chlorine has probably only been at SLAM level since 4/22 when I wasn't having to backwash it constantly. I had to put new water in and didn't want that messing up my numbers.

OH why am I doing this when my liner looks like it does and I can't get the pool to hold water above the skimmer (it leaks out into the yard)??? Well, because the pool company says not to drain it but also won't come measure until the water is clear. Who knows what's going on underneath the liner, but at this point, all we can do is try and clear this up and hope for the best. The guy who came and installed the pump said worst case scenario we'd have to fill in the deep end. Hopefully it's not that bad.

It's definitely a noticeable difference now in the color, but the clarity hasn't changed much over the last few days. Here are some pics from before and during this process. The first is from this morning, second is from a a couple months ago. I ran out of reagents for the FC, but these are the numbers from yesterday evening. I've just been adding the same amount of bleach I added yesterday until I re-up tomorrow in hopes they are at or slightly above SLAM level still:

FC = 28
CC = 2
CYA = 60

PH was 7.4, CH was 175, TA was 150, been testing at 125

Welcome to the forum!
Had you been testing FC and adding liquid chlorine every couple hours before you ran out of reagents? The more often you test and dose, the faster the SLAM will go.
With a sand filter, you can add DE to speed the clearing process. But it will require watching the filter pressure very closely and backwashing a lot more. See Adding DE to Sand Filter.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Marty, she's only pulling from the main drain, so she can't add DE using the documented skimmer method...

Creative methods might include:

- Flood the vacuum hose, and run your garden hose in the skimmer while you attach the vacuum hose to help keep it primed/full. Then you could sprinkle DE onto a step and vacuum it up?

- Add the DE from the pump basket

I'm not sure you're fighting your filter though. FC consumption, high CC, cloudy water and frequent need to backflush all support that notion that you're still fighting algae. The extra effort to introduce DE at this point is likely not worth it...

oh wait, maybe I misunderstood "I will say, the chlorine has probably only been at SLAM level since 4/22 when I wasn't having to backwash it constantly."

Are you saying that for the last 3 days, you haven't had to backwash constantly? If that's the case, then yes, it's time for DE.

It's been almost 24 hours since I last backwashed the filter. I checked the FC in the evening yesterday after the sun was off the pool and it was at 28 FC, Pool Math says 24 for SLAM. I put the same amount of bleach in today that I did yesterday just to be safe since I can't test it.

I will try the DE suggestion this weekend, thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.