Why is Washing Soda making my pool cloudy?

JCJurdle

Jun 11, 2019
Halifax
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have been using TFP and the pool Math app for years without problem. I have been raising ph with Borax, but decided to use washing soda instead as it has the same effect in half of the volume.

I have added in WS (arm and Hamer) twice now and both times it has turned my pool opaque.

Any ideas why?

What can I do to fix it?

Phil

Welcome to the forum!
Washing soda raises pH and TA, TA by alot more than you can imagine.
The cloudy water is calcium in it reacting to the burst of pH and TA.
Why are you having to raise pH? Only way pH lowers is by using acidic items in your pool.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

The full version Maddie --
Baking Soda = big TA change, small pH change
Borax = Big pH change, small TA change
Washing Soda = big pH change, big TA change. Probably more TA change than you want.

From Richard320

Welcome to the forum!
Washing soda raises pH and TA, TA by alot more than you can imagine.
The cloudy water is calcium in it reacting to the burst of pH and TA.
Why are you having to raise pH? Only way pH lowers is by using acidic items in your pool.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool
Thanks,

I periodically have to raise pH due to acidic rain in the area we are in. I will be going back to Borax to raise pH unless I also need to raise TA. So I can expect that my TA will have gone through the roof when I test this morning. :(

As a side note it would be useful for the pool math app to filter out chemicals that are inappropriate for a chemical level change. For example when looking to raise pH without a corresponding change in TA filter out washing soda/soda ash.

Thanks,

I periodically have to raise pH due to acidic rain in the area we are in. I will be going back to Borax to raise pH unless I also need to raise TA. So I can expect that my TA will have gone through the roof when I test this morning. :(

As a side note it would be useful for the pool math app to filter out chemicals that are inappropriate for a chemical level change. For example when looking to raise pH without a corresponding change in TA filter out washing soda/soda ash.
I always use the "Effects of Adding" feature in the Pool Math app so I know exactly what impacts I am going to have before adding anything. This would have told you how much your TA was going to rise.

Thanks,

Can you just aerate the water to increase the pH when it’s needed? Never heard of anyone having to do that though. Usually it’s other way around.

I always use the "Effects of Adding" feature in the Pool Math app so I know exactly what impacts I am going to have before adding anything.
Same here. There really isn't a need to filter out any chemicals, the app will tell you the effects you will see when you plan on adding something. Just for this example, if I added 1 pound of washing soda, it would raise my PH by 0.3 and raise my TA by 10. You can chose any of the chemicals you plan on using, and if you have your volume set, its pretty accurate.

adding.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you just aerate the water to increase the pH when it’s needed? Never heard of anyone having to do that though. Usually it’s other way around.
I also have to raise my pH monthly due to acid rain. I’ve contemplated bringing up the TA, but it usually levels off at 60 and so I leave it alone. I do have a few weeks of indecision at opening when TA is 50 and the CYA starts dropping the pH. But once I get some Borax in and pH is back up to 7.5, the TA stabilizes at 60 and doesn’t budge the rest of the season. It’s done this for 7-8 years, so I no longer think it’s a fluke.

I prefer Borax to aeration. It makes the water and our bathing suits smell amazing. And then there’s the bug improvement issue and the lovely extra sparkle. If I ever get a 3-season pool, I would definitely bring the borate level to the max.

In my opinion, I would never use sodium carbonate, it's horrible.

The carbonate is very reactive with any calcium and it creates calcium carbonate.

I would always use baking soda.

If the pH is going too low, the TA is too low.

If the pH is going too high, the TA is too high.

When the pH remains where you want it to, the TA is just right (aka the goldilocks zone).

Reactions: SoDel
I also have to raise my pH monthly due to acid rain. I’ve contemplated bringing up the TA, but it usually levels off at 60 and so I leave it alone. I do have a few weeks of indecision at opening when TA is 50 and the CYA starts dropping the pH. But once I get some Borax in and pH is back up to 7.5, the TA stabilizes at 60 and doesn’t budge the rest of the season. It’s done this for 7-8 years, so I no longer think it’s a fluke.

I prefer Borax to aeration. It makes the water and our bathing suits smell amazing. And then there’s the bug improvement issue and the lovely extra sparkle. If I ever get a 3-season pool, I would definitely bring the borate level to the max.
Interesting, didn’t realize acid rain was still a thing. I wish we could get some down here if it would help lower the pH a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.