Why is my IC40 not obeying my Easy Touch 4

Jun 11, 2013
I’m very new to pool ownership so, I apologize if this is an amateur problem.

Our pool was completed in November and I have had low or no chlorine levels ever since; thus constantly adding chlorine to it.

I have an IC40 with Intelliflo 3050 pump and Easy Touch4.

The low speed of the pump (set at 1900 RPM) is on the 'F' in the ET and the cleaner on AUX2. In the ET I have the Intellichlor set to 100% and spa at 5%, Im not sure if this is correct as I only have one body which is a 20K gallon pool.

I have two schedules setup for the same time from 3AM-NOON which are the filter pump (to allow the intellichlor to turn on) and the robotic cleaner. The ET is set to 2500RPM for the cleaner so, the pump runs that fast the entire time.

When the system is following the schedule, the chlorinator lights are all on as they should be except the output which will be a 20%.

When everything is off and I turn the 'F' on at the controller the intellichlor will read 100%. If everything is off and I turn the cleaner on than the filter pump it will read 100%

Should I not have the timers setup this way? Is there something else I can check as to why it won’t produce 100% the entire scheduled runtime?

Do I need the pump on at 2500 for that long of a period? I have an extra valve actuator which could be put on the cleaner valve closing that after a few hours and running the pump at a lower speed; circulating the water and producing chlorine after the floor is cleaned. This makes more sense to me but not the way the electrician set it up.

Any help would be much appreciated!!! Thank you!

I don't think it has to do with your timers.

Is the Intellichlor set to ON in the Easytouch Menu?

Do you have proper salt levels?

It will run when your pump is on - regardless of the schedule. There are two settings Pool and Spa for the IC40 - or you can have two levels depending if you are running the pump for your pool or spa.

Also the Manual is pretty good for help as well as Pentair tech support.

I have a very similar setup and it is generally working well for me.

I know that I spent some time tinkering with the programming, but that was 6 years ago, so I don't remember all the details.

First, it sounds like the IC40 is running at 5% during your 3am-noon schedule. The LED lights only turn on in 20% increments, so 5% --> 20% LED. I don't recall if the LED is supposed to blink or not in those instances.

Why do you have both timers for the same time? That might be your problem. Does the robotic cleaner need to have the pump running for it to work?

It might be as simple as changing the setting to ~40 percent on both the Pool and the Spa settings. It is possible that the Spa setting is somehow overriding the Pool setting, perhaps because of overlapping timers. If this improves the chlorine production, you will at least have identified the root cause and you can proceed from there.

BTW, 2500 rpm seems a bit excessive for routine filtering. The Intelliflo is a very powerful pump, equivalent to roughly 3hp, if I recall. I run my pump at around 1000-1200 rpm for slow filtering (10-12 hrs/day), and around 2200-2400 rpm for vacuuming (1 hr/day) and surface skimming (1 hr/day). This has served me well for 6 years.

2500 rpm for 9 hrs/day is going to rack up the electric bills.

FWIW, I had my plumber setup up a diverter valve so that I could run my cleaner exclusively. I then set up my ET to toggle between pool filtering and floor cleaning. Otherwise, I'd have to run the pump at an even higher speed since only ~half the flow would be coming from the cleaner.

I don't think you have that option, so shutting off the cleaner and reducing the speed would be the next best thing. Again, though, I'm not clear why you would need the pump running if you have a robotic cleaner. I thought robotics ran off their own power source.

Thanks for all of the help.

I have since changed my schedules a little bit based on the advice on here. I now have the filter pump (1500) running from 3AM-10AM and the cleaner (2200) from 10AM-noon. Still, during the filter pump schedule the chlorinator turns on and will only read the first LED light. When the cleaner comes on at 10AM the chlorinator is shut off; during the cleaner schedule I can manually hit the 'F' button and turn the chlorinator on and it will read 100% like it is suppose to. And still, if everything is off and I turn the filter pump on the chlorinator will read 100%.

The intellichlor is set to enable in the ET.

Salt level is 3600.

I dont think I have the spa setting on in the intellichlor however, I havent found a spot to turn it off either when I go to IC in the ET. When I put it at 100% and the spa at 0% (wants to default to 5%) the same problem exist.

I cant give you a full set of numbers right now as I'm waiting for more reagent to come in but here is:
PH 7.4
TA 120
CH 300
STAB 80

Any other thoughts? Has anyone had to reset the ET and start from scratch to fix unkown issues? How do I make certain the spa setting is off, as I only have one body of water.

Thanks!

I have found that if you contact Pentair Technical Support (while standing in front of your ET so you can look at everything while on the phone with them), they are a great help in solving problems and answering questions. One thing to be sure of in the meantime. There is a SWG circuit board in the upper part of your ET panel. There should be a small wire with red, green yellow and black wires connecting from one of the COM's to the bottom left side on the Motherboard. It will say Indoor Control Panel, Wireless RF Transceiver, QuickTouch, Intelliflo 4, and IntelliChlor. This wire needs to connect here. This is what allows the ET to communicate with the IntelliChlor. Be sure that these connections are good. I am not sure if the Spa setting is a problem or not. I, too, have only one body of water. I just set the spa to 0.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.