Why/how the pool techs could clean my pool in 15 minutes?!

Re: Please help us rid of $600-$850/m pool service!

Looking at your posts, you have a few (long-distance) challenges such as:
- FC is definitely low. It should ideally hoover at the target of 4. When it drops below the minimum FC of 2 (based on your CYA of 30), that's when algae comes-in.

I was wanting the CYA at 40, but he has been adding stabilizer weekly for the past 3 weeks and this is as high as it's been yet (30 was easy to attain). Is this because the FC is low (because algae is eating it)?

- If you have algae in there now, then you need to SLAM via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. This means someone will need to be there consistently throughout the day to add the required amount of bleach to "maintain" that higher SLAM/Shock FC level of 12 based on your current CYA. The FC must stay at 12 until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria listed on that SLAM page. No amount of vacuuming or filtering alone will resolve your problem. It must be SLAMmed.

Tenant works from home, so this seems reasonable to ask, but I'll have to check. I do hate to have to ask, but if they don't want the pool to be filled . . .

- We don't recommend using tablets/pucks. They raise your CYA to dangerous levels that, over time, become unmanageable. The longer you leave them in, the higher your CYA will go, which in-turn means your FC must also increase.

I'm ALLLLL about ridding of the pucks. Pool guy is hesitant. And right now, the CYA doesn't seem to be in danger, so I've let it be. Any harm at this point?

- Reinforce to whomever is watching your pool that they only use products recommend by TFP at Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals.

Somewhere along the line I told pool guy very little chems would be needed to do TFP and to avoid anything he didn't absolutely have to use. Hence, he wasn't using stabilizer. Hence, the CYA was never coming up. Hence the FC being so low.

If your water is not too bad right now, a proper SLAM may be completed in a week or less. But if the SLAM instructions cannot be maintained, the algae will not be killed. Hope this helps get you going. If you have any more questions, just let us know.

The water is absolutely clear. Said even started getting the "glints" last week. It's just this pesky vacuuming thing.

If I was there to do it, SLAM would certainly be the way I would go. I hesitate to ask the tenant to have to do this, and likely can't afford to have the pool guy do it.

Bottom line, since the water is crystal clear, do I have ANY recourse other than SLAMing?

As already mentioned, that FC is way too low, get it up to the recommended target per your CYA additions before you start an algae bloom.

Those tricolor tablets are going to add CYA as well, and it's going to take a week to register in your test. What is your target for CYA?

With a couple of months pool care $$ you could install a SWG for daily FC and visit the pool less frequently if the tenants are willing to test.

I really can't comment on your timeline, I don't know what the current state of the pool is. If you have been letting the FC drop that low on a regular basis you could be looking at a full SLAM.

Dom

My target was 40, but can't seem to get much past 30. 33 is best to date.

SWG is cost prohibitive right now as we just spent a pretty penny on repairs in May, coupled with the large monthly pool maintenance invoices, we are hurting as is. But def hope to look into it for next season.

Water is pretty and clear. Anything other than SLAM that we could do?

If we do wind up having to SLAM, I'm assuming this puts the pool in an un-swimmable condition during this time? Tenant often entertains on Friday evenings. So with Labor Day coming up, I suspect there will be use that weekend too. [emoji20]

Let's see if I can answer all your questions above:
- FC level has no bearing on the CYA. That's dependent upon the amount of stabilizer added and giving it at least a week to register.
- Leaving the pucks in for now isn't the worst thing. What you may want to do though is use the Poolmath calculator (near the bottom) to see the effects of using #-number of pucks for any length of time. This will help you judge when you're at a point of saying "stop".
- Remember that even though CYA seems to have not risen much, it will, but only from stabilizer (either granular/liquid form or those pucks). To raise the FC, you'll ether need to increase the flow rate of the puck chlorinator or simply add a little regular liquid bleach each day.
- It's good your water is clear. But if you see any algae, then yes, a SLAM is the way to go - bleach is the perfect sanitizer. Depending on the sun and amount of algae, simply adding a gallon of bleach every couple hours or so isn't the worse thing, but I understand you're in a tough spot with a tenant and all.

After removing the anlage (ideally via the SLAM), you could consider automated chlorination as noted above (stenner pump or SWG) which would provide some relief from the tenant. But that's another up-front expense. :(

- - - Updated - - -

We can SLAM in water with increase chlorine levels (during a SLAM) as long as the FC does NOT go over the appropriate SLAM/FC level. :)

Anything other than a completed SLAM is a maybe or maybe not situation. A SLAM is like novacaine, just give it time, it always works.

Even during a SLAM water is swimmable as long as your FC is at or lower than the shock level from the CYA/Chlorine chart. It will be harsher on suits and hair than maintenance levels but still safe.

Oooh. That's always a tough question. If we're talking about gallon size, 300 ounces (2 Gal and 1 Qrt) of 12.5% will get you to an FC of 12 (SLAM level). Keeping it there is a matter of testing every couple hours or so and adding as needed. We don't know how much organics are in the water, but I would suspect you should have at least about 10 gallons to start and hold you over for a day or two. FC consumption may not be that bad if your water is still clear. You won't really know until you start though and see how much the FC lowers over time.

So if we get 20 gallons,
Worst that can happen is we have a few extra gallons after SLAM and it might lose some of its potency, but it can still be used in the weeks following?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

More important than quantity of chlorine to buy is... how is a SLAM going to be implemented at this pool? In other words, do you actually have a way to have someone test the water and add the requisite amount of chlorine, multiple times daily? If not, this won't be an effective approach.

If you are referring to the SLAM and your first readings above, the only thing you need to do before adding the bleach to start the SLAM is lower the pH to 7.2. That's quite important as noted on the SLAM page. After that, just ensure the FC stays at the SLAM level. Good luck!

More important than quantity of chlorine to buy is... how is a SLAM going to be implemented at this pool? In other words, do you actually have a way to have someone test the water and add the requisite amount of chlorine, multiple times daily? If not, this won't be an effective approach.

I have two options to combine:
The pool guy and the tenant.
If they don't do things as specified, the pool guy is going to be out of a weekly job of cleaning and the tenant is going to be out of a pool. Otherwise, the house goes into foreclosure.

Everything else looks to be OK. CH may be a bit low but that's not critical now. If you read the SLAM instructions, pH should be between 7.2 and 7.5 before starting the SLAM so I would recommend lowering it to about 7.4 before starting. The reason is that you cannot test accurately for pH when your FC is above 10 ppm. It affects the pH reagent and you'll get an inaccurate result. pH tends to rise over time so starting with it lower keeps it more likely in a good range throughout the SLAM procedure.

Re lowering pH, put in 5lb of decreaser last week and number didn't fall. Pool guy doesn't want to mess with muriatic acid (can't say I blame him there).
Dry acid seems to be found nowhere in town so have to order. My fear is other levels will go out of compliance between now and receiving it.

Well, all you can do is show him this: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals. MA has its dangers, but so do other chemicals. If applied slowly and cautiously, there should be no problems. Easier said than done though when you're 300 miles away relying on someone else right?

Ok. So. I've found someone to put the muriatic acid in!
Woohoo! Pool guy is on way to lowes to get it, and let me know percentage so I can tell him how much to get.

I have read instructions on how to add, but didn't see mention on how long after adding that it takes to affect water.
When should retest be done?

Muriatic acid is often times found in the pool section. Whatever % is on the container you can input or select on the Poolmath calculator. The Poolmath calculator will confirm how much to add to reduce pH as required. When we add chemicals, always ensure the pump is on the mix with the water. Pour slowly near a return jet and allow to mix for at least 30 minutes before adding anything else or trying to re-test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.