Why higher CYA for SWCG?

Aug 14, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Since SWG produce a more steady amount of chlorine, why do they require a higher level of CYA? Would how long you run your pump per day also play into this? For instance, if one were to run their pump 24 hours a day at a real low % for the SWG, could a much lower CYA level be used compared to someone who only ran the pump for a few hours a day at a much higher %?

In theory, yes. But remember your SWCG has a finite life. It will last ~10000 operating hours. So if you use a low CYA, which will require it to create a lot of chlorine each day to combat your loss to UV, your SWCG will not last long.

You also have a very real possibility of your SWCG not keeping up during the high UV time of day and your FC dropping too low during that time.

It is so much easier to have 70 ppm or so CYA in the water and let your SWCG create about 3 or 4 ppm of FC each day during the summer.

My understanding is running the CYA level a bit higher allows you to run the SWG less thus preserving your salt cell. You could run the pump longer at a lower % on the SWG but at a low CYA level it will be really hard to reach your total chlorine goal. I could be incorrect but this is what I always thought.

You can run your pump and SWG at night if you wish, especially if you're trying to avoid peak electric hours.... your testing is what will show what works best for you. If you need more or less FC just raise or lower the % on the cell *or* your pump times.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.