Why does the SWG not work in cold water?

a little googling and i got this from .. Water Temperature - Environmental Measurement Systems

Conductivity and Water Temperature
As conductivity is measured by the electrical potential of ions in solution, it is affected by the concentration, charge and mobility of those ions.

Water temperature affects viscosity, which in turn affects ionic activity and conductivity.
Ionic mobility is dependent on viscosity, which is in turn dependent on temperature. Viscosity refers to a liquid’s ability to resist flow. The more viscous it is, the less fluid it is; molasses and mercury are more viscous than water. The inverse relationship between temperature and viscosity means that an increase in temperature will decrease viscosity. A decrease in the viscosity of water increases the mobility of ions in water. As such, an increase in temperature thus increases conductivity 11.

Conductivity increases approximately 2-3% per 1°C increase in temperature, though in pure water it will increase approximately 5% per 1°C. This variation is why many professionals use a standardized comparison of conductivity, known as specific conductance, that is temperature corrected to 25°C

Colder water means less conductivity. Running the cell in colder water won't produce chlorine efficiently and can actually damage the plates inside the cell.
I’m assuming by “damaging the plates in cold water” you mean when generating chlorine?? I mean I’m not going to take my SWG out of my plumbing to avoid cold water going through it. If you just turn it off/put it at 0% that should be ok huh?

I’m assuming by “damaging the plates in cold water” you mean when generating chlorine?? I mean I’m not going to take my SWG out of my plumbing to avoid cold water going through it. If you just turn it off/put it at 0% that should be ok huh?
Correct, only when the cell is generating. Cold water flowing through the cell will not cause any harm. That's why the cells are designed to protect themselves by not generating at lower temperatures.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.