Why do recommended CYA levels seem high to me?

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
I maintained a 25,000 gallon pool for a few years, with the help of this forum, and it's members. We have since moved, and now have a small 3,500 gallon pool. I was always more comfortable maintaining the large pool with a CYA of 20. Wasn't that hard to keep the FC levels up, and was easy to slam when needed. My current CYA level is 30, and I'm totally fine with that, but the charts say it should be higher. I still can't figure out why. Maybe someone can explain. thanks, Ed

If your FC loss is controlled at a lower CYA, great. Mine has to be 70 ppm at least or my FC loss jumps to well over 5ppm per day.

Obviously you've never been to a Bioguard dealer. they suggest 60-200 as the acceptable range for CYA. :oops:

1f5d78a5cb5fe40d37e10214f5cef1fb.jpg

I have SWG, so I keep mine at 70. Anything lower than that and my FC hits rock bottom too quickly due to sun (I never cover my pool, and it gets undiluted sun for most of the day).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.