Why Can't you use SWG for SLAM?

Nov 24, 2012
Irvine, CA
I want to SLAM my pool.

During the summer, I could not get my pool under control and there was algae constantly. I was not doing the SLAM properly. My SWG could not keep up. Currently I dont really see much Algae but see green clouds when I sweep so I think there still is some.

Now, in Nov in S Cal, my SWG is more than able to keep up. I barely have it turned up and it produces a lot of chlorine that exceeds the color chart on my color indicator.

My rationale is that I can produce a lot of chlorine due to the cooler weather and due to the fact that my SWG can now produce a lot of chlorine. Every noe and then I see a lttle algae on tha walls. I only really see it when I brush the walls and see a greenish cloud as I sweep.

I can certainly go buy liquid chlorine, but I don't understand why I cant just turn my SWG way up for a week or two to SLAM.

Also, rather than buy a DPD High kit, Can't I just buy the Taylor R-0870 powder and R-0871 reagent ? I already have a vial that has a 10ml and 25 ml markings

What exact Taylor test kits do you presently have?
How old are the reagents from those kits?

If you are seeing green clouds you likely have algae. You need to do a proper OCLT][/OCLT] - but you can't do that without the K-1515 FAS-DPD kit. You could just buy the R-0870, R-0871 and R-0003 (for CC test) - but that may just cost more than getting the K-1515 kit.

You will need to test FC multiple times daily and dose immediately after to bring FC back up to SLAM level. That's where the almost instant addition of liquid chlorine to reach SLAM level comes in.

One reason not to use the SWG during a SLAM Process is for the exact reason you couldn't clear your pool of algae or properly do the SLAM this past summer. The SWG can't produce chlorine fast enough to keep up with the chlorine depletion, especially during the first several days of a SLAM. Use liquid chlorine and follow the SLAM Process to the letter - no shortcuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88 and Dirk
In essence, while it's theoretically possible to use your SWG to SLAM your pool, it's usually not practical or efficient because you'd need to run it at a high output for an extended period, which can stress the system. Using liquid chlorine can more quickly and effectively raise the chlorine level to where it needs to be for the SLAM process. Plus, it will allow you to save the lifespan of your SWG for typical maintenance after the algae issue is resolved.

I want to SLAM my pool.

During the summer, I could not get my pool under control and there was algae constantly. I was not doing the SLAM properly. My SWG could not keep up. Currently I dont really see much Algae but see green clouds when I sweep so I think there still is some.

Now, in Nov in S Cal, my SWG is more than able to keep up. I barely have it turned up and it produces a lot of chlorine that exceeds the color chart on my color indicator.

My rationale is that I can produce a lot of chlorine due to the cooler weather and due to the fact that my SWG can now produce a lot of chlorine. Every noe and then I see a lttle algae on tha walls. I only really see it when I brush the walls and see a greenish cloud as I sweep.

I can certainly go buy liquid chlorine, but I don't understand why I cant just turn my SWG way up for a week or two to SLAM.

Also, rather than buy a DPD High kit, Can't I just buy the Taylor R-0870 powder and R-0871 reagent ? I already have a vial that has a 10ml and 25 ml markings
You should be using the FAS-DPD test for everyday chlorine testing and not the color comparator version.

Reactions: Mdragger88
DD,

I have never, ever done a SLAM, so take that into consideration.. :mrgreen:

That said, it appears to me that part of the SLAM is acting on what the FC does.. You increase your FC to the SLAM level and then watch it.. At first, it should not take too long before you have to add more chlorine.. As time goes on, the need for additional chlorine becomes less and less as the algae is killed. This indicates you are moving in the right direction...

If you use your SWCG while doing a SLAM, it will mask this action, and you will not get the same feel for how things are going.

In any case, pools are just expensive in general, and trying to penny-pinch your way out of your algae issue is basically why you have algae. :cry:

Turn your SWCG off, use Liquid Chlorine, and get a good test kit that can test FC up to 40 or 50 ppm..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok so here's the deal. Running 24/7 SWG 'wastes' 168 hours a week from its lifespan. You needed to run 80+ of those hours anyway so the 'life lost' is a joke on 10k hours. Nobody will ever know they're gone 4 years from now when your cell fails 3 days sooner.

In the beginning, the cell can't keep up with the algae blowing though FC. Your 40k unit will produce about double the peak FC you need in 22k gallons, so without looking up the exact #s, let's say 8ppm in 24 hours. You could blow through 4+ ppm every 2 hours to start and fall way short. It won't hurt to run the SWG at 100% and then test / supplement with LC at normal SLAM frequency. (2 to 3 hours apart greatly helps).

Once the algae is dead / mostly dead, your FC loss will be much closer to normal, and the SWG would add enough, but it does so slowly over 24 hours and you need to M(aintain) immediately with LC when you test. By the time you dial in the SWG at this stage, the loss fluctuated a little up/down and you'll be chasing your tail for the rest of the SLAM.

Once you have clear water and no visible alge growing on any surfaces, the SWG needs to be off for the OCLT and you're only losing your typical daily loss at that time. For now, that could be 1-2 ppm for you. Trying to dial in the SWG during the day to save a half gallon is more trouble than it's worth.

The bulk of any slam is stages 2 and 3, and you'd only get *some* help for 2 to 3 days at the beginning. It's easier to just shut off the SWG and have full control.

*remember the only thing that sets our methods apart is the knowledge and control. The SWG throws another variable in the mix which will complicate what's already complicated.

Last edited:
Reactions: ringi

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the input. I will follow the procedure exactly.

I know you have to re test to make sure the SLAM worked. I will do this. Anyone want to give me some indication as to how long it may take in my situation?

Currently, my pool is clear. My SWG is at 20% output which is the lowest setting and I am 5+ ppm on my FC (I bought the recommended kit so that I can test for higher levels). No visible algea. Only clouds of green when I sweep the walls.

Thanks for all the input. I will follow the procedure exactly.

I know you have to re test to make sure the SLAM worked. I will do this. Anyone want to give me some indication as to how long it may take in my situation?

Currently, my pool is clear. My SWG is at 20% output which is the lowest setting and I am 5+ ppm on my FC (I bought the recommended kit so that I can test for higher levels). No visible algea. Only clouds of green when I sweep the walls.
You don’t test to see if the SLAM worked. You test multiple times per day to make sure the chlorine reaches the specific point needed, which varies based on what your CYA is. Read the SLAM page.

Clouds of green when you sweep is “visible algae”.

@diamonddog
Here’s the deal-
This is the max fc your swcg can produce in your pool in 24 hours
👇
IMG_8308.png
That’s around .41 ppm per hour- algae generally consumes fc much more rapidly than that.
Unless you have very little cya your necessary SLAM Process fc level will be higher than 10ppm
See—> FC/CYA Levels
When your kit comes follow the article to the T to ensure you eradicate the algae.
Feel free to post up all your test results here for guidance.
Your current swcg setting is just barely keeping it from becoming a full blown swamp but the algae will take over without intervention.

Reactions: Dirk and Leebo
Got it. I ordered the 1515 kit and am waiting for it. I turned up my SWG in the meantime to hopefully lower the amount of liquid chlorine needed when I get the kit

I brushed the pool. Not seeing any algea on surface with my naked eyes. When I brush a few green clouds but a lot less than before.

Does the SLAM kill algea on the walls? I would imagine it only takes a few microscopic spores to start the problem all over and I imagine it's impossible to get every spore on the walls.

Got it. I ordered the 1515 kit and am waiting for it. I turned up my SWG in the meantime to hopefully lower the amount of liquid chlorine needed when I get the kit

I brushed the pool. Not seeing any algea on surface with my naked eyes. When I brush a few green clouds but a lot less than before.

Does the SLAM kill algea on the walls? I would imagine it only takes a few microscopic spores to start the problem all over and I imagine it's impossible to get every spore on the walls.
Yes, it gets everything. Brushing just helps it go faster. You can safely add 5ppm of liquid chlorine every day until the kit arrives. That would be waaay more helpful than a tiny bump in FC with the SWCG. Using the SWCG isn’t going to do much.

Be sure to read through the process. You are going to maintain the listed amount of FC for as long as it takes to clear the water of any algae, dead or alive, you pass an overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT), and have less than 0.5ppm CC.

Any brushing that stirs up anything visible fails the water clarity part of the SLAM criteria so make sure you pass all three exit criteria before calling the SLAM done.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You’re doing good by brushing- it breaks up the biofilm that algae forms to protect itself from chlorine. Keep that up daily during the slam 👍🏻

Reactions: Dirk
my SWG is more than able to keep up

I expect unless fully protected from UV light the rate of chlorine lose will increase to more then the SWG can give out as chlorine lose tends to increase with chlorine levels. The longer it takes to get upto the required chlorine levels, the more total chlorine will be needed.

Last edited:
I'm SLAMming right now. Turned off SWG and adding LC per TFP SLAM guidance.
That said, I could tell I had algae around Christmas. I didn't have the time or supplies to do a SLAM. I did a few days of Superchlorinate, and I believe it kept things at bay. Unlike other SLAMs I've read about here, the pool didn't immediately use up the LC when I started my SLAM.
I wouldn't use the SWG for a SLAM, but dialing it up high in while you get ready to do your SLAM can't hurt, and may shorten your SLAM time a bit.

Reactions: Dirk and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.