Why am I so bad at math...

May 12, 2017
S. E Michigan
I am trying to figure out how many yards of "sand" I need to do the landscaping around my pool since I have an extra 35" of soil to fill in after removing my sod. Assuming sand it the best thing to put around the pool to fill this area in as pea gravel may make its way under the liner correct?

I cant for the life of me figure out how much I need. Our pool is an 18' round and we have 35" of extra space from bottom edge of liner to my garden edging I put in. Its only about 1.5" deep. Does 1 yard of sand sound right to fill in this area around the pool? Is sand the best option? Picture for reference of area to be filled around.

I will be forever thankful for some insight as I am trying to figure out if I am better off having it delivered or buying it by the bag. One bag from my local home depot only covers .5CU ft!

IMG_9501_zpsjxaisb1j.jpg

If you are curious the 63 comes from 12 squared- 9 squared where are the nine is the radius of your pool and the twelve is the radius of the circle where you are trying to and sand

hmm..so that is the calculation that I got which was .91. I just rounded it up to 1 yd. I guess when I seen 1yd, it just didnt seem like it would be much at all. Apparently 1 cu yd is pretty sizable then! I think the online calculator I was using was just making is sound more confusing than it actually was.

Rubber mulch is great - it never deteriorates and is relatively soft on your feet. Well maybe someday it will break down, but not anytime soon. Down side is that it can fade and cheap variants will sometimes still have small metal pieces - think recycled tires. I don't think they would be big enough to bother your liner though. It can be expensive, but don't go to cheap for the aforementioned reason.

And your yardage seems a little low because you are only an 1.5" deep. If that double or tripled like a typical concrete sidewalk depth the yardage would feel a lot higher. 1.5" should be just enough mulch/pea gravel to keep the weeds down tho.

My local landscape company is actually recommending "river rock" or "cobblestone". I think I am going to take a ride up there to look at it. They said it is a rounded rock and would not likely make its way under the liner as opposed to smaller Pea Gravel. I was advised to just put down some landscaping fabric first. Would rubber mulch smell? Our pool is in direct sunlight all day. Yikes, small metal pieces scare me around this pool!

Rubber mulch is great - it never deteriorates and is relatively soft on your feet. Well maybe someday it will break down, but not anytime soon. Down side is that it can fade and cheap variants will sometimes still have small metal pieces - think recycled tires. I don't think they would be big enough to bother your liner though. It can be expensive, but don't go to cheap for the aforementioned reason.

And your yardage seems a little low because you are only an 1.5" deep. If that double or tripled like a typical concrete sidewalk depth the yardage would feel a lot higher. 1.5" should be just enough mulch/pea gravel to keep the weeds down tho.

I am a bit biased as I have a personal vendetta against river rock. The folks that owned my house before me laid it everywhere when it was in vogue then covered it up with mulch when they wanted a different look. Planting flowers or any kind of work in the flower beds is annoying as digging those rocks out is really a pita. Multiplied by many flower beds scattered over two acres and river rock and I just don't see eye to eye anymore.

Ok, all that being said - sorry for my drivel. River rock would actually work really well for your scenario. A friend used river rock exactly as you are proposing. It is moderately comfortable to walk on and quickly "accepts" any water that splashes out. Dirt washes freely so any balls or pool toys falling over the edge won't come up dirty like they would falling into mulch. A quick spray of round up will treat any nuisance weeds. It is also heavy enough that trimming grass around it easy. Pea gravel has a affinity for getting stuck in shoes and dogs paws - not painful, just leads to unplanned placement of gravel everywhere except where you want it ;)

For what to put around your pool: I feel the same as Pool Tool about river rock or bull rock (not sure they're the same). I loathe it, and it hurts my feet. Unfortunately I had a landscaper use it on the entire side of my house. Until I can get rid of it, I've put down flagstone steps where I need to walk (for my tender footsies - lol). That has kept me from foaming at the mouth each time I look at that rock.

I researched on TFP and found this thread about what others have used around the base of their pools. I like zea3's idea in post #6. There are different ideas, too.
ABOVE GROUND POOL BACKFILL

Let me know if you like the brick idea. You may be able to get used brick for free. Also, you could send zea3 a private message and ask her to post a picture of her brick filler around the pool.

To keep weeds from growing through whatever you choose, Kim suggests putting roofing felt down first. It's much thicker than landscape fabric or plastic.

Good luck!
Suz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I decided to go with "cobblestone". Just seemed like it would work well for this scenario. Was debating mulch, but I forgot that the last time we put mulch down in our backyard, our dogs had a field day with eating it....

I know if will be a PITA to ever have to move it, but hopefully we wont be living in this house to see that happen :) Will look into the roofing felt, as I definitely HATE weeding!

For what to put around your pool: I feel the same as Pool Tool about river rock or bull rock (not sure they're the same). I loathe it, and it hurts my feet. Unfortunately I had a landscaper use it on the entire side of my house. Until I can get rid of it, I've put down flagstone steps where I need to walk (for my tender footsies - lol). That has kept me from foaming at the mouth each time I look at that rock.

I researched on TFP and found this thread about what others have used around the base of their pools. I like zea3's idea in post #6. There are different ideas, too.
ABOVE GROUND POOL BACKFILL

Let me know if you like the brick idea. You may be able to get used brick for free. Also, you could send zea3 a private message and ask her to post a picture of her brick filler around the pool.

To keep weeds from growing through whatever you choose, Kim suggests putting roofing felt down first. It's much thicker than landscape fabric or plastic.

Good luck!
Suz

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.