Seacoast, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
10th season of our pool and and been on TFP since day 1.

Every year when we open the pool, there's algae. I SLAM, in a few days the bottom gets covered with white dust (dead algae), I vacuum it up, and then we're (mostly) set for the rest of the summer. I can't say that that we never get some light algae during the summer, but the pool is really very well behaved and daily testing nips things in the bud.

We opened on Monday. There was clearly algae. Yellow on the steps and some walls, somewhat cloudly water. I've been SLAMming since then. As happens every single year, I opened to 0 CYA.

Usually, I SLAM a few days and then I reach what I call the flash point. All of a sudden I get the tell-tale white powder and there's big piles of it at the edges within 6 hours or so. This year, I'm getting a lot of scattered brown/black powder in spots, but no white. It poofs when brushed. I assume it's living algae.

The water is looking very clear, not crystal. A non-TFP user may think it looks great, but I know it can be better The Chlorine demand is quite low. I've put maybe a 1/2 pound of cal-hypo in over the last 48 hours. I'm getting no CC. I'm using Cal-hypo right now bc my CH was 130 at opening and it's so convenient.

Here are my current numbers:

FC 13
CC 0
pH 7
CH 180
TA 55
CYA 20

The SWG is off.

Any comments? Do I just keep SLAMming? With the low chlorine demand, it just seems the algae should be dead.

Day 10 of SLAM. Instead of black spots, now I have mango colored (pale orange/yellow) spots. Chlorine demand is teeny tiny.

FC 13.5
CC 0
pH 7
CH 180
TA 60
CYA 30

Keep SLAMming? This mango color is knew to me. Just looking for reassurance that I'm still on the right track.

Day 10 of SLAM. Instead of black spots, now I have mango colored (pale orange/yellow) spots. Chlorine demand is teeny tiny.

FC 13.5
CC 0
pH 7
CH 180
TA 60
CYA 30

Keep SLAMming? This mango color is knew to me. Just looking for reassurance that I'm still on the right track.
Are any trees or flowers in the neighborhood shedding orange stuff?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.