Who's up for a challenge? Dark green monster!

Good evening. Quick update!

So I checked the FC and it wasn't above 2! I didn't understand what was going on since the water was getting so much clearer but it just won't get past that cloudy mark. I'm including the pic from yesterday.

photo2_zps0e0d6cb0.jpg

After dumping in 4 gallons of 8.25% bleach into the pool, I realized I hadn't put the pool cleaning bug into the pool. Well...... I put it in the pool and it ran through the middle and surrounding edges. I watched what it sucked up and it was nasty! Parts of a frog (back legs), tons of leaves and I had to backwash the filter out 4 times as it hit it's max. Needless to say, I see where I went wrong. I had brushed all of the sides but just hadn't used the cleaning bug. Lesson learned.

I will check the FC levels tomorrow morning and then put the bug back in. Of course a before and after shot as well. Maybe, just maybe, we'll finally see some progress tomorrow or Sunday!

Good evening. Quick update!

So I checked the FC and it wasn't above 2! I didn't understand what was going on since the water was getting so much clearer but it just won't get past that cloudy mark. I'm including the pic from yesterday.

After dumping in 4 gallons of 8.25% bleach into the pool, I realized I hadn't put the pool cleaning bug into the pool. Well...... I put it in the pool and it ran through the middle and surrounding edges. I watched what it sucked up and it was nasty! Parts of a frog (back legs), tons of leaves and I had to backwash the filter out 4 times as it hit it's max. Needless to say, I see where I went wrong. I had brushed all of the sides but just hadn't used the cleaning bug. Lesson learned.

I will check the FC levels tomorrow morning and then put the bug back in. Of course a before and after shot as well. Maybe, just maybe, we'll finally see some progress tomorrow or Sunday!
I looked back.... A week ago I suggested you start vacuuming blind while you fussed with pH and so on. :hammer:

See? You should have listened!:p

well THAT sure will slow things down------frog legs??? Yummmmmmmmmm LOL

Keep getting all of that stuff out. It will speed you up.

Kim

I think it was frogs legs. The only things left were the leg bones attached via what skin was left. It was nasty and the water was incredibly dark green and smelled so yummy. Took three or four backwashes to get the water pressure down again. Just gross. Never again will I put a cover on that I'm not 100% sure is free of holes. Just awful.

Thanks for sticking with me!

I looked back.... A week ago I suggested you start vacuuming blind while you fussed with pH and so on. :hammer:

See? You should have listened!:p

Yes!!! You have got to get everything off the bottom or you will waste your chlorine and time trying to clear the pool while the chlorine eats up frog legs!

Yes!!! You have got to get everything off the bottom or you will waste your chlorine and time trying to clear the pool while the chlorine eats up frog legs!

I'll take my lumps and am learning the hard way. :) I should have listened. If nothing else, I'm proof positive that people should listen to ALL of the suggestions posted by you experts. You all are AWESOME!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I talked my older son into being the "lucky" one who gets to be the first one into the pool this year. Excited by the offer (and with the bribe of video game time) he jumped into the pool with the brush that connects to the vacuum. I'm assuming most of whatever was on the bottom has been vacuumed up. The younger son jumped in as well and they stirred up the pool for a good hour. Neither felt anything on the pool floor while they horsed around. They were worried about finding the rest of the reptile that I found. Nothing was discovered..... yet. :)

The rest of today will be adding bleach (without the boys in there) and making sure the filter is being backwashed. I will take a water sample this evening and see where I am. Of course a picture will accompany my evening update. I did want to ask about some sort of bugs that I found in the pool. I will add that pic when I am back at my laptop.

Thanks everyone. Have a good Saturday!

Here are the unknown water lifeforms I found in the strainer. A few might be flying insects which just got caught in the strainer but "A" and "B" I've seen in the water several times. "C", "D" and "F" look like tiny caterpillars or millipedes while "E" looks like a flying insect.

"A" have been seen frequently buzzing around in the water and also showing up in the strainers (several dead ones at a time in the strainer). I'm guessing they are in the pool because the algae used to be in high amounts but now that the algae is being killed off and removed, they "should" die. Besides removing their source of food, how can I kill them a little quicker?

aqua-life-forms_zpse2e3d3b1.jpg

A is what I have seen called "oar bugs" They are FAST and they bite. Once you get your pool cleared up they should stop swimming with you.

I bet the kids had a blast "helping" with the pool. Just make sure they have on a suit you can see just in case.........Better safe than sorry.

Kim

Good call Kim! The older son is 13 and slightly taller than I am. The younger boy had on his floaties but you're right, the colors of his swimsuit were bright and we didn't leave him alone in the pool.

How do I get rid of the cloudiness? Is that the left over algae that is dead or dying?

Run your pump and keep SLAMing!

It will clear up in time. When you stop seeing a big drop in your FC levels you might want to consider adding some DE to your sand filter. If you do decide to go with DE make sure you can be home to babysit the filter as the DE can cause a big upswing in the pressure due to it "working".

I have not used DE so you might want to do a search to see how much and how often to add it.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.