Who's up for a challenge? Dark green monster!

pH was below 6.8

Add 10ppm? I'm "assuming" I do that using the pool calculator with (x) and what is the goal?

photo2_zpsa2d428c0.jpg

Brilliant!! Ok. I need to boost CYA. 1) With what and 2) after I put in #1, when do I test it again to see if the level is responding?

Going to look for borax to boost the pH. When should I put it in (morning, night?) and when should I test it again after adding?

Like I said, I'm willing to learn and won't ask the same question twice (I hope). Teach and I'll learn.

PUt in enough cya to bring to 30. Use pool math to figure out how much. Dont worry about testing CYA for a few days. Its slowwwww showing up on the test.

Test your PH and bring it to 7.2

SLAM and use 30 as your CYA level.
FC SLAM for 30 CYA is 12
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Test every hour if possible for the 1st day to get a feel for how much FC loss you have and what the CC is. Post them here. Keep the fitler running non stop. Backwash when necessary

EDIT: write down your pressure reading iwth filter clean.
Backwash when the pressure rises 20% above whatever clean is.

A couple things:

You REALLY need to read Pool School as suggested above--I learned the hard way, you can't get quick answers and take short cuts or you'll cost yourself more money and headache in the end.

CYA, if powdered type, needs to go in a sock and hung in the pool. Mine takes SEVERAL days to even empty the sock and then several more days to get to the point where it registers with the test. I usually wait about four days AFTER it's completely dissolved from the sock to test (no need in wasting your test chemicals!).

On the alkalinity. That 3 has me puzzled. Did you multiply your drops by ten? My guess is you got a 30?

Your pH is probably LOWER than 6.8. That's the LOWEST your gauge will read ;-)

You HAVE to keep that FC up or you will never conquer the green beast. As said above, check it hourly and keep adding to keep it up. If you can't babysit it all day, I have found much better luck babysitting it at night...after the chlorine eating sun has gone down.

Get you a good leaf net and scoop the gunk off the bottom...just go blind at it, you'll get tons! I've even been desperate enough in the past to climb on in that booger so I can feel the debris with my feet.

Lastly, I'm an old pool owner but learned a new lesson recently. Like it appears you didn't do, I also didn't use a winter cover this past year and it cost me a liner. While discussing with a coworker who grew up installing pools for his dad's business, he said something that made complete sense to me. Uncovered, your liner is exposed to the elements/sun 12 months a year. Covered in our region, it's exposed about four months. I think that may be the key to liner longevity. I've only got five years out of last two liners. I'm going for ten this time..with a winter cover!

Good luck!!

Hi everyone. Just a quick update. I just dropped 45oz of 8.25% bleach into the pool (@ 1:00pm). I will check the FC again at 2pm to see what is happening in there. I will post back what I find.

The clean pressure reading is 17-18. I had been backwashing it when it hit 21-22ish which is also when I see the return jet slowly losing the push it had at 17-18.

As for the recommendation for pool school, I appreciate it. Please understand this reply isn't meant to sound crass. I have read through the pool school 3 times and while I learn a little more each time, there is a point you get to where you aren't going to get it until you ask for help which is where I am now. I could read basic or intro transmission repair guides but I'm probably not going to be real knowledgeable about trans repair as I would if I asked those that know what they are doing. I promise I am learning and letting every suggestion and bit of knowledge you provide sink into my memory and I have reviewed this thread many times to make sure I'm not asking the same question you have already generously answered.

After buying up a good stock of bleach, borax and baking soda, I don't plan on taking any shortcuts. Not my style with anything I do. I already have a few neighbors who don't think this method will work and are watching the progress so I plan to make sure I do it the right way the first time and smile as I save a ton of $$ on chemicals. I can't thank you all enough for your help and time.

I got the pH level to 7.8. Do I need to lower that to 7.5 when I do the next water check?

- - - Updated - - -

A couple things:

On the alkalinity. That 3 has me puzzled. Did you multiply your drops by ten? My guess is you got a 30?

Your pH is probably LOWER than 6.8. That's the LOWEST your gauge will read ;-)

You HAVE to keep that FC up or you will never conquer the green beast. As said above, check it hourly and keep adding to keep it up. If you can't babysit it all day, I have found much better luck babysitting it at night...after the chlorine eating sun has gone down.

Get you a good leaf net and scoop the gunk off the bottom...just go blind at it, you'll get tons! I've even been desperate enough in the past to climb on in that booger so I can feel the debris with my feet.

Lastly, I'm an old pool owner but learned a new lesson recently. Like it appears you didn't do, I also didn't use a winter cover this past year and it cost me a liner. While discussing with a coworker who grew up installing pools for his dad's business, he said something that made complete sense to me. Uncovered, your liner is exposed to the elements/sun 12 months a year. Covered in our region, it's exposed about four months. I think that may be the key to liner longevity. I've only got five years out of last two liners. I'm going for ten this time..with a winter cover!

Good luck!!

Great suggestions and advice!! I plan on taking advantage of those this season and over the next few seasons. I did actually have a cover on my pool but I didn't realize it had a softball sized hole in the middle until it was too late. That meant all of the algae and other nasties just poured into my pool and created a super mess! I learned another lesson and will look over my cover better when it's time to close it up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If FC is above 10, the pH test will read falsely high. So ignore pH during the SLAM. That's why we say to set it before you start, because you won't be able to play with it once you get going.

pH is easy to fix, in minutes even, after the algae is gone.

Sweet. Another golden nugget I am storing away.

Just checked the water.

FC 2.5
CC 1

Putting in more bleach now according to the amount specified by the pool calc.

Thanks and I hope you're having a good Saturday.

Since you're starting out so green make sure you check the FC about an hour after you add bleach. (Provided you are at home to babysit the pool today.) The more often you can test/dose in the beginning the faster the process will go. That will also help you get to the point where you don't have to test it so frequently because the FC will start to hold a little longer. A weekend is a great time to start! :)

Happy SLAMming! (well, you'll be happy when you're done! lol)

Since you're starting out so green make sure you check the FC about an hour after you add bleach. (Provided you are at home to babysit the pool today.) The more often you can test/dose in the beginning the faster the process will go. That will also help you get to the point where you don't have to test it so frequently because the FC will start to hold a little longer. A weekend is a great time to start! :)

Happy SLAMming! (well, you'll be happy when you're done! lol)

Hey Beens! Thanks for the information. Right now I'm balancing the excitement of seeing progress and burning through my testing chemicals. ;) I've been testing every 60-90 minutes and will be doing another around 4pm EST. The last reading was FC 2.5 and my goal is 4 so I keep dumping more bleach into it. I have a bunch of bleach that is just ready to jump into the pool but I want to make sure I do it right!

Happy Saturday!

If you are SLAMing, your FC is way too low. 4 is barely the minimum.

Based on what I had read, I thought this was the "target".

CYA 30
Min 2
Target 4
Shock FC 12

Post #27 from Divin Dave said to use those numbers. I didn't see any numbers in your last response. Is there a different target number I should be aiming for? Where did I misunderstand?

- - - Updated - - -

I just checked the numbers again in the pool and found the FC is 4 and CC is .5

Before I take any other actions, are there any other suggestions on how to proceed otherwise I will leave the FC level where it is and recheck the water in another hour to see if I need to add more bleach.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Based on what I had read, I thought this was the "target".

CYA 30
Min 2
Target 4
Shock FC 12

Post #27 from Divin Dave said to use those numbers. I didn't see any numbers in your last response. Is there a different target number I should be aiming for? Where did I misunderstand?
You're SLAMming to get rid of the green, right?

SLAM means Shock Level and Maintain. You need to use shock level as your target. That's 12 in your case. You've got the maintain part down perfectly, though.

2 and 4 are for after the pool is clean and sparkly and there's no more algae.

Following this thread too....don't be hard on yourself...I've real Pool School 20 times and will prob need to read it 20 more. Only way I learn is by doing! These guys have the patience of jobe!

:goodpost:

Many of the posters have A LOT of patience, no doubt!! Like I said, I've read the pool school many times but need to begin the hands-on learning, much like yourself. Thanks for the kind words.

:lovetfp:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.