Who has a Flowclear sand filter pump from the 2020 Costco pool. Will a 1500GPH pump be enough for a 6450 gallon pool?

Tatum4701

May 8, 2020
Turlock, California
I'm looking for info about the Bestway Flowclear model 58401E from the 2020 Costco pool kit. My friend has not used it, and will sell it to me, but she did use the hoses from it, so I need to find replacement hoses.

I think it is a 1500 GPH sand filter pump.

The pool I need to use it with is an 18 foot round, 48 inch deep Summer Waves pool. It came with a 1000 GPH pump that just can't seem to keep our water clear.

My pool is 6,450 gallons. I think the Costco pool was 6,000 gallons. Will a 1500 GPH pump be powerful enough on my pool?

Here is a long, drama filled tale of my efforts to find a sand filter pump.

I buy a pool sand filter pump on eBay. Four hours later I have an email from eBay saying the account may have been compromised, and my order gets cancelled. PayPal gives the seller FOREVER to respond about canceling the transaction, before they'll refund my money.

I order the same pump from a marketplace seller, VM Express, on Amazon. It's supposed to be delivered July 8 - 10. The next morning VM Express says they ran out of them, and has to cancel my order. I go to place a new order. VM Express already has it relisted. For $25 more than my sale price, and arriving 5 days later. !?!? Amazon will do nothing about this. The seller has FOUR other reviews from today, complaining that VM Express has done the same thing to them. At least my money will be refunded faster than PayPal.

I give up on VM Express, and go back to my hunt. Suddenly Walmart has some listed! Being sold by Walmart!!! 2650 glorious gallons per hour! An Intex with great reviews, AND A BUILT IN TIMER. It's a combo sand filter/pump/saltwater generator unit, so it's more money. $28 more than our pool itself cost. But it's coming! I hope. I'm crossing my fingers that they really have it, and are really going to send it to me!

Meanwhile my friend hears of all this, and has an extra sand filter pump from her Costco 2020 pool, that she has not used. She offers to sell it to me! So now I'm trying to figure out if it will work for me, if I'll be able to find hoses for it, when she is available to meet. She lives an hour away from me. She can't meet until the 5th, and the one from Walmart will be delivered on the 8th. I don't dare cancel my order from them, in case her pump doesn't work out in one way, or another.

Ay Yai Yai! Pool pump shopping during a pandemic is just way too much!!!

Last edited:
I found a pump/filter combo on Amazon for a good price a couple weeks ago from inyopools. Ordered on Tuesday and it arrived Friday. I'll never that lucky, my original intex was on its last leg.

Reactions: Tatum4701
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.