White substance... I done messed up AA-Ron

dunginhawk

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
CLIVE/IA
So I havent added any PH increaser in a long time.. Pool is four years old. this is the first time the PH has been low.
We have a party today so I didnt research methods etc and added 10oz or so of PH up (the PH is perfect now btw) directly to my fiberglass pool.
Now I have a white film all over the inside walls, floor etc.
I tried to just scrub it off with a brush, nothing.

I now realize I should have dissolved it etc... I done messed up.
What is the best way to remove this ?
Thank you folks.

Happy Labor Day weekend

I think you had calcium precipitate out of the water when you raised the pH.

Post a compete set of test results...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
WATER TEMP
CSI

@Texas Splash

Water Temp - 87
FC - .5
CC- 6
TA - 110
PH - 7.9 (ticked down to 7.8, but higher than I want).
Calc - 175ppm
Salt - 3000
CYA - 0 havent tested it in a while.

Most summers I never touch it... This is no different.. usually I get it dialed in in the spring and its good all year.
This is the first year where the numbers moved even slightly.

Going to add some Muriatic Acid to get the PH down to 7.6.

No doubt the FC is extremely low which will contribute to algae if not already starting. But that CC level - wow. Is that a typo maybe? What are you adding to the water? Are you using any non-chlorine shock products from the pool store? You'll also need some stabilizer to get that CYA back to a minimum of 30. With a salt pool we normally recommend a minimum CYA of 70, but it should be getting cooler in your area this time of year, so a lower CYA may suffice. In addition, if you need to start a SLAM Process a CYA of 30 will require a lower FC (SLAM) level of 12.

No doubt the FC is extremely low which will contribute to algae if not already starting. But that CC level - wow. Is that a typo maybe? What are you adding to the water? Are you using any non-chlorine shock products from the pool store? You'll also need some stabilizer to get that CYA back to a minimum of 30. With a salt pool we normally recommend a minimum CYA of 70, but it should be getting cooler in your area this time of year, so a lower CYA may suffice. In addition, if you need to start a SLAM Process a CYA of 30 will require a lower FC (SLAM) level of 12.
yeah i got those mixed up.. FC and CC that is... Pool is getting closed in a month or so, so ill just get the CYA to 20 or so, just to get to the end of the season. ill end up adding some more in the spring..
Wondering how the heck to get the white film off.. its STUBBORN.. hoping the acid and getting PH back to right will help

yeah i got those mixed up..
Woo! That's good. With an FC of about 6 ppm, I would definitely add stabilizer for a CYA goal of 30. Then you might consider doing that Overnight Chlorine Loss Test just to be safe. Good to get those numbers balanced before you close for the season. Chlorine with no stabilizer is extremely harsh on swimmers and pool surfaces. Not sure if that could account for the discoloration you have been seeing though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.