White streaks/stains/spots on colored plastered pool

BeachsideDDS

Mar 26, 2019
Solvang, CA
Have a 18k gallon in ground pool with colored plaster (grey).

Upon completion and filling it up, my wife and I noticed rather quickly that we had “streaks” on many of the spa/pool steps. Our pool builder was quite evasive it says such streaks are unavoidable during the gunnite process.

When I first starting maintaining the pool, I used chlorine granules/shock (placed in deep end) that seemed to settle at the bottom of the pool and cause lightening of the plaster in the affected areas.

Recently, I began noticing some “white spots”, which I’m assuming are examples if scaling (TA was found to be 140 after not testing for a couple of winter months).

HELP...are these different types of spots/stains/streaks unavoidable when you have a colored plaster? Is draining and treating with acid the only fix?

Welcome to the forum!
Colored plaster can show some mottling, etc. Though most of what you describe is most likely due to poor water chemistry maintenance and application of chemicals that are not recommended.
Do you test your own water chemistry? Can you fill out a signature with your pool type, volume, equipment, etc?

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.