White spots

Rick T

Apr 28, 2019
Houston, TX
I wasn't sure which category to post this in as I do not believe this is an algae problem. In February I had my pool resurfaced with Quartzscape in French Gray. On both the floor and walls I have these white spots/blotches cover a high percentage of the pool area. I have scrubbed them but nothing happens. It does not appear to be a growth of any kind. Oddly enough the attached spa does not have this issue. I rarely use powdered shock. I have contacted to plaster company to come take a look (the 1st pic has a shadow of a palm tree). Any ideas?

pool 2.jpgpool 3.jpg

@onBalance spot etching?

The company who plastered the pool came today. He said he thought that if we drain the pool he could treat all the areas and polish the surface and make them go away.

Let him take a try at it and see how it comes out and if it lasts.

Reactions: onBalance
My guess was he was going to acid wash it then polish it. Not sure what polish it means. Also wondering if after 18 months if it has reached its final amount it is going to make the white blotches and thus this would fix it or will it continuously keep doing it.

PLater company guys came out. put a bunch of muriatic acid in the pool then tied a recirculating pump just below the surface of the water to keep the pool stirred up. ran it for 4 days, adding more acid after day 2. 90% of the white spots cam off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am sorry to say, but I would suggest that the plaster surface is now etched, and the white (porous) spotting will return (in some fashion) in time. But I hope that doesn't happen. Fortunately, if this is a smooth quartz finish, the plaster can still be sanded and polished. Of course, that is a more expensive job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.