White specks in pool? Yellow stuff in filter? Ahh!

kmc2407

Jun 7, 2021
Kentucky
I'm here again with more questions, sorry about that. 😫
Ill try and keep a long story short, we tried using a salt water pump hooked up to our summer waves pump but after many trial and errors could not get the salt water pump to work. About 3 days passed of me trying and realized yesterday the water was getting just a touch cloudy and was time to make the decision to pull the plug on the salt water pump and use the summer waves provided pump only. However at this point when we thought we had the salt water pump woking and finally had cleared error codes it seemed we had already dumped 160lbs of salt in the pool 🤦‍♀️...

So, I went to the store shocked the pool with the recommended dosage, we got the net and made sure it was stirred in well and let the pump run all night long. Woke up to the water looking much less cloudy but had just a teeny tiny yellow tinge to the water, you really had to be looking for it to notice. I checked the filter, found yellow stuff literally caking inside all of the pletes? of the filter, washed it out thoroughly and stirred the water again leaving the pump on. I also added the recommended dosage of 2ozs of water clarifier and came back a couple hours later noticing the water looked even less cloudy, so thought maybe on the right track!......
I then checked the water more closely and noticed these little white specks. We have several sycamore trees so thought maybe pollen? But if its white then why would the filter be yellow. Checked the filter again and it had more in there, but not as much. I took it inside to the bath tub to give it a deeper cleaning, I couldn't believe how much was coming out when it didn't look like that much! I took some out with my fingers and it felt slightly spongy, if I had to name its texture.
All I have at this point is a clorox dip test strips, I understand from doing some research these aren't the best or give enough information so plan to get a better test kit ASAP.

Any thoughts or advice at this point? My chlorine/free chlorine is reading high right now. Would the salt have anything to do with the white specks?

Pool is pictured below, 18x48..
Thank you if you made it this far!!

Attachments

• pool sw.jpg
    pool sw.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 0
well, I suggest you take a look at pool school. best test kit will be mentioned there, as will advice to not take pool store recommendations seriously. no need for shocks or clarifiers. liquid chlorine will take care of almost any problem, but you do need to be able to test accurately.

well, I suggest you take a look at pool school. best test kit will be mentioned there, as will advice to not take pool store recommendations seriously. no need for shocks or clarifiers. liquid chlorine will take care of almost any problem, but you do need to be able to test accurately.

Thank you, I'm already reading some of the pool school and everything I thought was true with upkeeping a pool is wrong! I definitely need a better test kit asap.

Reactions: digidoggie18
yeah, lots and lots of people get by with the wrong paradigm but eventually we get em :wink:

once you get the hang of TFP methods you will be amazed how cheap and easy sparkling clean, healthy pool water is. first obstacle for a lot is the test kit, but trust me, it will pay for itself in about one trip to the pool store. totally worth it and will likely last two years or more.

Reactions: digidoggie18
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.