White snow flakes on top of pool

Appleseed 121978

Jun 7, 2020
New York
Hi my pool has been opened about three weeks now the pool is crystal clear and recently iam getting these white snowflake Looking material floating in the top of my pool I try to strain them but they won’t go away if you look close at the pic you can see them 1591541769544.jpeg
Thanks

Hello and welcome!

Are you able to capture them in a net / etc.? Gather a bunch of them up into a pile? If so, try putting a little muriatic acid on them and seeing if it fizzes.

It could mean they’re calcium precipitating out of the pool and that your CSI is too positive.

What are you using to test the water for chemistry levels? You will want a good dropper test kit like a TFT-100 or a Taylor K-2006C to check your chem levels. Test strips are completely unreliable and pool store testing isn’t always much better.

Because our water is up over the skimmer right now, I have this whitish/semi-translucent stuff floating on my pool surface too. It's too fine to get with the skimmer and it's mostly pollen and fine debris that's blown in. It's hard to see unless the sun is reflecting on it. Is it like this? When my skimmer is working properly, it mostly goes away.

Attachments

• IMG_2968.jpg
    IMG_2968.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 18
Because our water is up over the skimmer right now, I have this whitish/semi-translucent stuff floating on my pool surface too. It's too fine to get with the skimmer and it's mostly pollen and fine debris that's blown in. It's hard to see unless the sun is reflecting on it. Is it like this? When my skimmer is working properly, it mostly goes away.
Yes that is what it looks like I have never has this problem before could it be because my calcium is low do you think the pool store will know what it is

If calcium was the problem, your levels would be high. My CH is also low at 50. I definitely think it's just organic stuff blowing into your pool.

And, it's highly doubtful the pool store will be able to shed any more light on the issue than anyone on this forum can...though I'm sure they'll try to take your hard-earned cash anyway.

I've got the same stuff floating on my pool surface. I'm with Ice on this, its pollen. In fact I'm getting so much of it that is is starting to affect the flow through my filter along with it being responsible for the little cloudiness of my water righ ht now. I'm going out later this afternoon to backwash my filter as the flow seems to have decreased of the last couple of days.
My calcium level is 50 ppm so I'm sure it is not that.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes that is what it looks like I have never has this problem before could it be because my calcium is low do you think the pool store will know what it is
You don’t need to worry about low calcium in a liner pool. If it’s organic, keep your pump and skimmers running and let them take care of it - make sure your FC is right per the FC/CYA Levels to ensure no algae bloom and let the filter take care of it. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.