White, scaly flakes coming from the outlet...

Sep 30, 2016
Alamo, CA
Background: I haven't been able to physically service my pool in three months, but I'm back on it now. From the readings, obviously, there's a lot of work to do. This post is for one particular oddity that I don't really have an answer for.

I'm coming across white scaly flakes at the bottom of the pool. It started out with just a little patch, but those patches are getting bigger. They appear to be coming out of the outlets and then resting at the bottom. They aren't pouring out or anything like that. I can't visually see them, but from the pattern they're leaving on the bottom surface and the placement of them, it's not had to identify they're coming from the outlets. It definitely isn't salt (at least, it doesn't taste like salt). I'm not sure what it is, but it isn't dissolving on its own. In the four years I've been maintaining the pool, this is the first time I've seen this. I'll get some pics out in a little bit.

Any thoughts as to what this is? What caused it? How to address it? How to stop it from happening in the future?

Test2020-07-12
Free Chlorine4.2 ppm
Combined Chlorine0.0 ppm
pH7.2
Total Alkalinity220 ppm
Calcium Hardness470 ppm
Cyanuric Acid55 ppm
Sodium Chloride (Salt)3400 ppm
SWG Instant Salt2200 ppm
Temperature84 ˚F

What is your CSI?
I'm on those sites. I use the app all the time. I'm a premium member. My current CSI is 0.51. I'm sure it wasn't that for the longest time, but I couldn't tell you what it was since, as stated above, I haven't been maintaining for the last three months.

Get your CSI below 0 by lowering your TA.

Also you might want to do an salt test.. if your instant salt reading is 2200 that sounds on the low side.

He said his actual salt was 3400 ppm. Don't push raising salt on Aquarites unless they are complaing of low salt. If they are generating then salt on the low end of the range is better to not burn out the board.

He said his actual salt was 3400 ppm. Don't push raising salt on Aquarites unless they are complaing of low salt. If they are generating then salt on the low end of the range is better to not burn out the board.
I agree.. I should have rephrased. My first glance at his readings made me think that 3400 was the average reading. If the instant reading is 2200 then perhaps it was still ramping to its value. If 3400 ppm is his tested reading then I stand corrected. Carry on

Have you retrieved a flake and put a drop of MA on it? I bet it will fizz.
I will check that right now.

Check your SWG cell. The flakes could be produced on the plates and they are sloughing off.
Also you might want to do an salt test.. if your instant salt reading is 2200 that sounds on the low side.
I cleaned my SWG last month and again yesterday. I have a separate post out there for a large discrepancy between my actual tests (3400) and the equipment reading (2200).

Get your CSI below 0 by lowering your TA.
Alright. I'll do that.

Yeah, there's no way I'd adding any more salt. Considering how much I've tested it, I'm confident I'm currently at 3400 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.