White Powder on pool bottom, don't think it's algae

May 18, 2018
Clarion/PA
So for the past week I've been fighting a losing battle with a white powder substance on the bottom of my pool. Pretty sure it's not algae. In my googling, I believe I'm experiencing my shock settling at the bottom of the pool. I've been using Zappit 73% Cal Hypo Pool Shock.

I vacuumed the pool to waste last night and removed the white substance, I then placed a 3'' chlorine tablet in the skimmer, only to find white substance back on the pool bottom.

I haven't tested the water today but from what i can remember last time it was

tc 3
ph 7.8
ta 60

Update
Another thing I wanted to add is that it's not concentrated in one area of the pool. It's a little bit here, and a little bit there. Mostly around the outside where the current of the return jet is.

Can you give us a CYA reading from your test kit?

I would suspect it is algae.

Do not puts pucks in the skimmer. They are extremely acidic and will damage your equipment.

Take care

since you can see the pool bottom, im going to assume that your pool is "clear" with no green color at all. Is it a fine white substance or more granular ?

What is the maintenance record of your filter? I see in your sig that you have a DE filter.

since you can see the pool bottom, im going to assume that your pool is "clear" with no green color at all. Is it a fine white substance or more granular ?

What is the maintenance record of your filter? I see in your sig that you have a DE filter.

It's more granular.

I just did a complete cleaning of the de filter. Tore it down and cleaned it with the garden hose.

The pool is clear with not green at all. It's actually never been this clear before. If I kick up the substance it makes the water cloudy until it settles again.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you give us a CYA reading from your test kit?

I would suspect it is algae.

Do not puts pucks in the skimmer. They are extremely acidic and will damage your equipment.

Take care

Not sure what my cya is at this moment. I haven't added any stabilizer to the pool so it's probably 0

how many pounds of the shock are you using ? do you mix it in a bucket of pool water then add or just dump it in (so to speak)

I'm asking questions kind of blindly here. The folks that know a lot more then me will want a full set of test results to truly help

how many pounds of the shock are you using ? do you mix it in a bucket of pool water then add or just dump it in (so to speak)

I'm asking questions kind of blindly here. The folks that know a lot more then me will want a full set of test results to truly help

depends on what my TC reads on the amount of shock I put in. When I do I DO NOT mix it I just dump around outside of pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.