White Limestone Coping - Already Chipping/Flaking

dustindclark

Oct 18, 2021
Austin, TX
Howdy all,

First time creating a thread here, but I've been lurking for a while. I'm just wrapping up a new pool build, and startup was about a week and a half ago. Unfortunately, I'm already seeing the edges of my limestone chipping off. Obviously this is bad, but it's especially bad considering how lightly the pool has been used so far. The kids have swam a time or 2, but mostly it's just been brushed. I don't recall letting the brush pole fall against the stone, but it's possible that the kids did so.

For background, we broke ground on the pool back in July. I used byop.net for the design/contractor selection, and everything ran fairly smoothly until the tile/coping phase. These guys disappeared halfway through finishing the waterline tile, and didn't come back for almost 3 months. They claimed that the reason for the delay was due to white limestone availability, which they had ordered pre-cut from the quarry. After about a month and a half of waiting, they stopped responding to texts/phone calls, so I started working on other bids (no one else had problems getting limestone). I was at the point where I was going to pull the trigger with the another company, so I notified the original company.

At this point, they became super responsive, and said they had a pallet of limestone that they could use for my project. He had previously told me that this stuff was not "good for pools", but he now walked that back saying that the install is just easier for them to have limestone pre-cut at the quarry. I told him that I was going to research, and he showed up the next day unannounced with a pallet of limestone. I probably should have turned him away at that point, but I didn't. I was antsy, tired of my yard being a wreck, and the second company was still a month out.

Anyways, fast forward to now, and I have limestone chipping already. We had overlooked a few grievances (the stones varied significantly in thickness, they chose slabs with rusty looking veining, and they chose slabs with lots of shell looking things that didn't look good), but the chipping seems like a much bigger deal to me. So, that said, I have a few questions:
  1. Is there a type of white limestone that is better/worse for pools? I understand that it's a more economical stone, but we chose it for the look.
  2. Is this chipping typical of limestone? At this rate, it doesn't look like we're going to get more than a few years of longevity before it looks like Crud.
  3. What should I expect this company to do at this point? I owe them their final 20% payment, which is the last bit of leverage that I have.
  4. Any other recommendations on having someone look at/check the limestone?
Attaching 3 of the worst chips, but there are many smaller chips around the edge. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5552.jpg
    IMG_5552.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_5551.jpg
    IMG_5551.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_5550.jpg
    IMG_5550.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 183
I began calling around to get prices on limestone pavers about a week ago and 1 of the company’s I contacted had a white limestone in stock but said that they weren’t recommending it to anyone because it was to brittle and fragile. I was kind of shocked because I always thought limestone was pretty strong no matter what-apparently not the case though.

Chalk is a form of limestone. It's certainly strong in some aspects like compression. But it's not a hard material.

Hey Dustin,

I offer no wisdom or guidance, but I can commiserate. We had Ivory travertine installed about a month ago for our new build and while it isn't chipping, it does seems to dissolve more each day.

Misery loves company.

Charlie

Hey Dustin,

I offer no wisdom or guidance, but I can commiserate. We had Ivory travertine installed about a month ago for our new build and while it isn't chipping, it does seems to dissolve more each day.

Misery loves company.

Charlie
Man, that sucks. Have you filled already? Is it salt-related?

Maybe my expectations are too high, but it seems like it has been one thing after another with my build.

Yea, we filled it about a month ago. We're holding off on the salt until the spring, which makes it even worse that we're already having issues. Here's a pic of it basically dissolving ... Ug.

I hear you on the one thing after another. I wish I found this group about a year ago.

Attachments

• 20211207_184649.jpg
    20211207_184649.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Wow
Reactions: renesme
Yea, we filled it about a month ago. We're holding off on the salt until the spring, which makes it even worse that we're already having issues. Here's a pic of it basically dissolving ... Ug.

I hear you on the one thing after another. I wish I found this group about a year ago.
Hopefully your builder will replace the ones that are failing like that.

Hi. I just saw this thread after I posted a new one. I'm in the Austin area also and our pool is 5 years old. It held up OK for the the first few years, but I now have the same problems you describe. Although I like the look, if I had it to do over I would probably go a different direction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi. I just saw this thread after I posted a new one. I'm in the Austin area also and our pool is 5 years old. It held up OK for the the first few years, but I now have the same problems you describe. Although I like the look, if I had it to do over I would probably go a different direction.
Ditto i have similar issues with my limestone coping as well as travertine deck pavers and my pool a year old. I notice more spalling whenever it rains probably from the rain being acidic. I might try sealer to slow it down. Anyone know if that helps?

Are you supposed to seal the limestone? I have travertine coping, and seal it each spring since the salt is supposed to chip away as it dries.

BTW, Limestone looks (aside from the chipping) very nice around your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.