White flecks in the water?

KurtinTUS

Silver Supporter
Jul 20, 2017
Tucson
So I've noticed my pool seems to have produced a lot of white flecks over the last couple of weeks. I'd try to include a photo, but I can't seem to get a good image. They are white, feel like maybe salt or calcium, and are size-wise anywhere from the head of a pin up to as large as maybe 3/16" dia. And they sink--I really notice them when I brush the pool floor. I keep the CSI around zero to slightly negative, and not seeing any scaling around the pool. Latest TF-100 readings from today:
FC 4.0 (usually closer to 6.0, but had lots of rain recently)
PH 7.8
TA 60
CH 525
CYA 80
CSI -.01

Any ideas?

Most likely calcium scale being shed by your SWCG.

Are you able to keep your TA at that level with that pH? How often do you add acid?

Thanks Marty! I was thinking about opening up the SWG next to see if it might be the culprit. TA had been running more like 90 in the early summer, which I thought was getting too high, so I went for a few weeks with extra muriatic acid dosages to keep the pH intentionally low in the range of 7.3 to 7.5, which then brought the TA down to as low as 40 before trending now back up to 60. I normally add acid twice a week to keep the pH at current levels.

Is this calcium scale indicative of a failing SWG or one that maybe just needs a good cleaning out? I'm disappointed in my pool chemistry efforts because I really thought I was keeping the CSI and pH in a reasonable range (to minimize scaling).

It is indicative of your CH level and higher end pH. I doubt there is any build up in the cell itself. I see the calcium flakes and look at it as the proverbial 'canary in the coal mine'. It says your parameters are getting on the scale side of CSI.

Try lowering your pH to 7.4 when it reaches 7.8.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.