White Flakes since pool was built and running 4.1.22

Champ22412

May 2, 2022
Westfield, IN 46074
Hey - my pool has had an accumulation of white flakes coming out of the return jets. We are still working on lowering the TA but everything else seems to check out. Water is a little warmer now and it looks like the flakes are increasing. What can I do to resolve? Thanks for the help!

New Pool - opened 4.1.22
10,140 gallons - Inground Fiber Glass
IChlor30 SWCG
1.5HP Variable Speed Pentair Pump
Pentair Cartridge Filter
AutoCover on at least 20 hours a day at the moment if not more until school gets out

FC - 3.5
pH - 7.6
TA - 150
CH - 375
CYA - 60
Water Temp - 85
Salt PPM - 4120

Can send picture if needed.

Thank you!

Which Taylor test kit are you relying on?
Lowering your TA will help. Lowering your pH will lower your TA.
Use Muriatic acid to lower pH into the low 7s. Use PoolMath to calculate your CSI and explore how your water data changes the result.
The flakes blowing out of your return is a result of calcium scale forming on your cell plates. The scale sloughs off each time the polarity on your cell reverses to slow fouling. Your fiberglass surface allows you more leeway to run a negative CSI and reduce calcium scale. Does your pool have ceramic tile at the water line? Also test your fill water for TA and CH calcium hardness to anticipate fill issues going forward.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Focus on lowering your CSI into the negative range, play with pool math to see your options. My experience was lowering my TA to 50-70ppm and keeping CH at 250ppm was key. My fill water is high TA so anticipation is warranted.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.