Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
Hi all,

New pool owner here. Finally think I've been able to master the chemistry side of things and believe all of my levels are in good shape.

All of a sudden today, we are noticing many white fibers and flakes suspended within the water of the pool (not floating on top), which we have never seen before. Picture is attached. My wife suspected that it was some sort of pollen from trees, but it doesn't add up since it's literally everywhere and pool is always covered when not in it (we have an auto cover). We had pretty heavy bathing loads last weekend for 4th of July so bumped FC up to ~10 prior using the SWG. We were also for a few days which was followed by some rainy days, so pool has not been in use or open for most of the week, which is unusual for us. Could this be some sort of white mold due to pool not receiving light in a while? I did scrub the walls and run vacuum yesterday, which I do weekly.

I'm using the TF Test Kit and have the following numbers:

FC 5.0
CC 0.0
PH 7.5
TA 70
CYA 70
CH 100

Any tips or guidance is appreciated!

Joe

Attachments

• GOPR1566.JPG
    GOPR1566.JPG
    475.2 KB · Views: 36
First thought is scale from the SWCG, but your pH, TA, and CH do not imply that as a possibility.

Hayward Swim Clear cartridge filter.. will add to my signature.
Maybe check next time you rinse to see if any of those particles are visible and/or if you can capture any of them to inspect closely. Sam's note about the bristles was a good catch.

One other thought. My TA was 110+ and have been working on lowering it for a few weeks. I didn't think anything of it, but the MA I used was Klean Strip Green from Home Depot.

Could that have had additives that could cause this?

Doubt it's from a brush due to volume and differing sizes and shapes of the white stuff. Also, all of my equipment is brand new.

Thanks,

Joe

Look at the acid bottle and verify the strength.

On the fibers, they look like pool brush fibers. I had this issue this year and replaced my brushes.

I'm not aware of any issues with Kleen Strip. We might normally assume some of the stuff you see is scale coming off is from the SWG cell since you recently did an acid dosage. But as Marty noted, your numbers don't indicate scale. But it's a bit of a mystery. I'd recommend leaving the cover and keeping the FC slightly elevated for the remainder of the day. Reevaluate tomorrow to see if it's any better.

A high TA can generate calcium flakes in a SWCG even if your overall water CSI is below 0.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
going to go out on a limb and say sunscreen. noticed it when we had company over swimming and noticed they were using some ultra sweat proof sun screen. they were laying on it heavy.

i got some of it between my finger tips and started rubbing. it took a second but you could easily see it was a lotion of some sorts.

it all disappeared in a few days.

YMMV

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.