White deposits in pool

Turbo, I combined your two threads as they are related and it's best we keep everything together. Looking back to your original thread, @mknauss was following you. I think he should know we combined your threads so he can chime in since you already made some chemistry changes based on his recommendations.

I had a question since you mentioned gritty feelings. Even though some of the stuff you collected seemed to fizz as if it was calcium, I wonder if there is any chance some of the product you are finding is sand from the filter? Just for my own curiosity, can you tell us:
- How old is the sand?
- Did you install it or someone else?
- Do you know what brand of pool sand was used?
- Is the gritty stuff only near return jets, or do you find it everywhere in the pool?

Turbo, I combined your two threads as they are related and it's best we keep everything together. Looking back to your original thread, @mknauss was following you. I think he should know we combined your threads so he can chime in since you already made some chemistry changes based on his recommendations.

I had a question since you mentioned gritty feelings. Even though some of the stuff you collected seemed to fizz as if it was calcium, I wonder if there is any chance some of the product you are finding is sand from the filter? Just for my own curiosity, can you tell us:
- How old is the sand?
- Did you install it or someone else?
- Do you know what brand of pool sand was used?
- Is the gritty stuff only near return jets, or do you find it everywhere in the pool?

thanks. I replace the sand couple of years ago. Before swg installation no deposits were coming off the jets. Only occasional deposits only from jets. I think it happens on reverse polarity schedule. When i pour acid it fizzes. I worry I am aging the new cell.

You are not aging your cell. It is a normal process for modern SWCG's. It keeps them from plugging up with scale like they did in the past.

Keep lowering your TA. Once you get to 80 or so the flakes should diminish.

Reactions: Turbokamil
I plan to raise the calcium to 350-400. Currently at 275. Also trying to reduce alk to 80’s based on salt water recommendations. Am I doing it right? Or i shouldnt add calcium?

Attachments

• FC3BD619-DD05-4815-9C8C-6AEB1FE13FB0.png
    FC3BD619-DD05-4815-9C8C-6AEB1FE13FB0.png
    520.3 KB · Views: 3
Your Poolmath data looks fine. No need to raise your CH at this time. The TA is fine, just manage pH. Unless the flakes bother you. If so, push the TA down a bit by lowering pH to 7.4 the next couple times it gets to 7.8.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.