White cloud when add shock

CTUcker22

May 19, 2021
Georgia
I opened the pool 2 weeks ago and it’s sparkling but I can’t get the chlorine right. It’s a 75000 gallon community pool I’ve been running for 4 years. My partner added 26 ounces of algeside last eeek and since then when I put shock in it forms a white mass for a couple of minutes and then dissipates. I went to Leslies and had the waterchecked. Their instructions were to add 28 lbs of alkalinity up- wait 4 hours and add 25 lbs of chlorine granuals. I did this last night - i checked it around 5 the next day- O chlorine and 6.8 PH? Can anyone offer suggestions?

NOTE: Per intro post this is a *public* pool-

Are you relying on Leslie's for your pool water testing? You *need* a far better way of testing and I would suggest the TF-100 XL for this size pool. www.tftestkits.net

You would probably get better results and spend less money by using liquid chlorine. The TFP method relies on only putting in the chemicals that the testing says are needed. Routine "shocking" is not a feature of our methods.

Alkalinity Up is nothing more than Baking Soda at 3x the price. Buy large bags of it at Walmart or Costco for savings. Same product.

Do you run any CYA in your water?

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: CTUcker22
I opened the pool 2 weeks ago and it’s sparkling but I can’t get the chlorine right. It’s a 75000 gallon community pool I’ve been running for 4 years. My partner added 26 ounces of algeside last eeek and since then when I put shock in it forms a white mass for a couple of minutes and then dissipates. I went to Leslies and had the waterchecked. Their instructions were to add 28 lbs of alkalinity up- wait 4 hours and add 25 lbs of chlorine granuals. I did this last night - i checked it around 5 the next day- O chlorine and 6.8 PH? Can anyone offer suggestions?
You really are not qualified to operate a commercial pool.

You are putting people’s health and safety at risk.

My recommendation is to close the pool until you can find qualified people to operate the pool.

Reactions: jimbethesda
You really are not qualified to operate a commercial pool.

You are putting people’s health and safety at risk.

My recommendation is to close the pool until you can find qualified people to operate the pool.
I am a CPO - I have ran the pool with no issues for 3 years -chemicals perfect every week. Not one injury or reaction as far as I know - I thought this was a safe place to ask questions?? So, it appears if a person runs into a problet that he/she can’t figure out, it means you’re not qualified. If I can’t get the chlorine right- I will not open it until its right.

NOTE: Per intro post this is a *public* pool-

Are you relying on Leslie's for your pool water testing? You *need* a far better way of testing and I would suggest the TF-100 XL for this size pool. www.tftestkits.net

You would probably get better results and spend less money by using liquid chlorine. The TFP method relies on only putting in the chemicals that the testing says are needed. Routine "shocking" is not a feature of our methods.

Alkalinity Up is nothing more than Baking Soda at 3x the price. Buy large bags of it at Walmart or Costco for savings. Same product.

Do you run any CYA in your water?

Those are all good recommendations- the baking soda and test kits info is appreciated. Noting extra for CYA other than what’s in the tablets. according to my Leslies report it’s at 49

Then, why are you having the water tested at Leslie's and why do you need them to tell you what to do?

Trust me, the 16 year old kid working the testing station was fired from McDonald's last week because he couldn't figure out the fryalator and now he's testing water and giving advice with zero qualifications.

If you're really a CPO with 4 years experience, you should have your own test kit and you should know how to manage the chemistry.

Also, someone who knows what they're doing would provide the chemistry history when asking for help.

They would also provide more information for context.

What test kit do you have?

What is the chemistry history?

What is the situation as far as what has been done in the last 6 months prior to today?
James - I voluntarily run the pool - get paid $0 but have to put several hours a week to maintain it. The other option is to let it go and watch the property values drop. I’m a teacher so I have most of the summer off to handle it. The county health department requires that Im a CPO- I‘ll add the # if you’d like (it’s posted at the pool). The pool responsibility was passed onto me by a 70 year old neighbor that was ready to give up the stress. He showed me the ropes - but I added the weekly leslies testing (Which I document the chemical history) and put together a pool committee. It sounds like I shouldn’t be trusting Leslies but, like I said, it’s documentation that I’m maintaining the chemicals. As far as test kits - obviously not enough- but I’m thankful that I found this forum (never been involved in one). I can appreciate your concern’s and I welcome suggestions. Tomorrow, I can take a video and post it. Before I found this forum, I researched and couldn’t find anything.

I don't mean to be rude but if you're going to do this professionally, then I am going to hold you to a much higher standard than a new homeowner.

You're asking questions that an experienced CPO with 4 years experience should not be asking.
Until this week, I haven’t had 1 issue - I shock the heck out of it- take a sample to leslies once a week and I check the chemicals everyday (and document it) and follow their plan. I think with this forums help- I can make those adjustments and save my neighborhood some money and me some stress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First and foremost, WELCOME TO TFP!!!

I wanted to backup the need for a proper test kit with regulations from the Georgia Dept of Health handbook,
Test Kits. Every pool shall be supplied with an accurate and reliable testing kit capable of measuring any agent that is introduced into the water of the pool, including: the determination of pH, free available chlorine (FAC), total available chlorine (TAC) if chlorine is used, bromine or other chemical disinfectant residuals, cyanuric acid (if used), total alkalinity, calcium hardness, and copper and silver (if a copper or copper/silver ionization unit has been installed). The local health authority shall, upon request, be supplied a field testing kit for any agents introduced into the water supply. If a field testing kit is not available, the agent cannot be introduced until standards for testing have been established by, and written approval has been obtained from, the health authority. The Orthotolidine test (OTO) is unacceptable since it cannot distinguish FAC and TAC.
(6) Daily Record. A daily record will be kept of all chemical testing and temperatures recorded for all spas and self-inspections performed.
[Authority: O.C.G.A. Secs. 31-2A-6, 31-12-8, 31-45-10.

Notice at the end the mention that an OTO kit does NOT qualify for this test, and that’s a large number of kits out there. Watch which kit you’re ordering. 👍

Last edited:
I'll repeat my earlier suggestion- The TF-100XL would be cheaper than the K-2006C and refills per seller are always top marks for freshness.

www.tftestkits.net

Those two kits (K-2006C by Taylor, and the TF-100 (which also uses Taylor reagents) are the only two kits we endorse. They contain ALL the tests we feel pool owners require to know about their pools)

What were the readings before the chemicals were added?

Do you know why the pH and TA are so low?

You might have ammonia.

When was the last time you tested the water and what were the readings?

What was added after the last time that you tested?

Ok, I do appreciate the info- really- my plan is to become a permanent member of the group. I’m a quote guy and one that applies to this is “an experienced sailor- a calm sea never made”. This situation and meeting you guys will help me grow. Chemicals -I added 3 hours worth of fresh water last night, vacuumed the pool today, and back washed for 7min. I did a water test .5 TC and 6.9 PH . I’m putting 3more hrs of water - but what Im excited about was - I broadcast some granuals and there was no white mass(at 7am). At 4pm I put 28 more lbs of Alkalinity up(already had it) and in 4 hours I’m going to go up to add 4 bottles of chlorine. Changing sand out tomorrow. We have 2 sand filters - 400 lbs of sand in each. I will reach out to you guys for more help . Really - I’m happy I found you guys!

Reactions: borjis and JamesW
I'll repeat my earlier suggestion- The TF-100XL would be cheaper than the K-2006C and refills per seller are always top marks for freshness.

www.tftestkits.net

Those two kits (K-2006C by Taylor, and the TF-100 (which also uses Taylor reagents) are the only two kits we endorse. They contain ALL the tests we feel pool owners require to know about their pools)

I bought the K2000

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.