Melbourne VIC Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron eQuilibrium EQ25
Hi all, I recently dropped my pool water level about 2-3 inches to assist while I repaired some caulking (silicone) under the coping paver (tile). After a couple of days the dry part of the shell above the water line turned faint white. Wouldn't rub off and the normal shell colour restored if wet. I have since topped the pool up to its regular level and no problems to the eye both under and above the water line. Pool is 3 years old.

I have read with interest @Texas Splash thread on what seems to be the same or similar issue.

I too have been keeping a low TA (usually 50).
Should I be targeting 90-100? Is there anything else I should be doing to reduce the risk of this becoming worse? I have just started tracking csi again. Please see pool math logs for all chemistry details.

Thank you in advance and I appreciate your help.

Attachments

• 20240215_160152.jpg
    20240215_160152.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 14
Should I be targeting 90-100?
Probably not. If you increase the TA, the pH will climb quickly and you'll be battling that chemistry yo-yo game with much more acid. If memory serves me correctly, FG owners who saw some improvement by elevating the TA were those where the chalkiness actually wiped off of the shell by hand, so it was a different scenario anyway. I suspect your shell is simply reacting to chemicals like mine did. Mine started around that 3-4 year mark as well. Not much we can do to fight that I'm afraid. :(

By the way, I can't see your poomath logs. You might want to check your Poolmath settings. There's a toggle selection in there to allow sharing your test logs with TFP. :goodjob:

Hi Texas. Thanks for the feedback. My pool math is enabled to share, not sure why it's not coming up? Try this link:

You must use the same login for your pool math account as your tfp login.
I believe @Leebo can get them merged for you if they are separate.

Just an update. I've had the water at the regular level now for 3 days and it still looks as new condition. It's almost looks the fibreglass shell has a different coating on the regular water line compared to under the water line. I may contact the manufacturer to clarify this issue. I'm sure if I tell them my chemistry numbers they will laugh at me for being 'off the charts!', and that is the cause of all the issues..

Attachments

• 20240218_155025.jpg
    20240218_155025.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 4
I would not tell them your numbers. They have very odd opinions about "correct" water chemistry. When asked about the reasons for their limits, they will not be able to you an explanation. But they will happily use any deviations from their range to wiggle out of warranty claims. Always good to have a few pool store tests to "prove" compliance with their spec, and to adjust water chemistry prior to a service technician come out.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The non-TFP water chemistry limits are listed in the warranty information for my fiberglass pool. That's why I don't consider the pool even having a warranty. About the only way to collect is to have a professional maintain the pool to their numbers where there would be evidence that the pool was maintained to the fiberglass pool company standards. My fiberglass pool has the white chalky look and I just live with it. I followed Texas Splash's posts on this topic. I have considered installing waterline tile.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.