Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
The motor is locked up on my water feature pump. It is a 1HP with a 1.65SF. I forgot to check if its running on 110 or 220. However the same pump for my pool filter and SWG is a 2HP 220v with 1.10SF. Should I just replace in kind or get something in the middle?

I know what service factor is but I guess I just dont know what I need. The 1HP 1.65SF is about the same price as the 1.5HP 1.10SF. They are near the same brake HP. Would it make a difference if the waterfall pump is running on 110, although I doubt it is.

You cannot go to a lower SF motor without changing the impeller. Putting an under rated motor on will quickly overheat and burn up the new motor.

Get the details on the model pump you have, voltage it is running on, and post a pic of the motor data plate. Or call inyopools for advice on replacement motors that are available.

A 1.5 HP pool pump on a waterfall can be quite a bit of overkill. I have a similar setup - a 1.5HP Whisperflo on an open pipe waterfall (low head) … it’s incredibly inefficient. I have to choke down the pipe with a shutoff valve to keep the pump from cavitating. When the pump goes I plan on replacing it with a waterfall pump OR I may buy a new Intellifo for my pool side equipment and swap the old Intelliflo over to the waterfall and just run the waterfall at the lowest possible pump RPM.

Maybe you should consider the same?

A 1.5 HP pool pump on a waterfall can be quite a bit of overkill. I have a similar setup - a 1.5HP Whisperflo on an open pipe waterfall (low head) … it’s incredibly inefficient. I have to choke down the pipe with a shutoff valve to keep the pump from cavitating. When the pump goes I plan on replacing it with a waterfall pump OR I may buy a new Intellifo for my pool side equipment and swap the old Intelliflo over to the waterfall and just run the waterfall at the lowest possible pump RPM.

Maybe you should consider the same?
So what exactly are you suggesting I do?

So what exactly are you suggesting I do?

Use a different pump on your waterfall. Either get a waterfall pump (high flow rate, low pressure) OR maybe use a 2-speed motor OR maybe find a simpler variable speed pump. It might require plumbing rework so you’d have to be comfortable with that.

All I’m saying is that a lot of pool builders pump high-head pool pumps on low head water features and it’s an incredibly inefficient waste of energy. You can certainly just replace what you have but since your at this point with a failed pump anyway you might reevaluate options.

Ok I understand what you are saying. If it was a pool pump being ran all day I would consider what you are saying but its a water feature I use here and there in the summer. Nearly every week I run it for 10-15 min just to get fresh chlorinated water thru it as well. The pump itself is fine, just needs a new motor. I would rather spend 230 on a motor and 40 on a rebuild seal kit then a whole new pump and plumbing to go with it. I guess I will just replace in kind, if its not the capacitor which I haven't checked yet. It doesnt have the capacitor on top like my other pump so I will guess it is inside the rear cover.

Thanks for that. I dont want to spend 600 plus plumbing for something so rarely used.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I hear you. I haven’t actually run my waterfall in over a year. I just got tired of hearing the pump kick on. It’s all drained and dried out so I expect if I ever turn it back in again the pump will either be totally dead or a seal will be gone and it will leak. I’d much rather see it running with a proper pump than use the energy hog it’s connected to.

Well I did not need a new motor... 8 dollars for a capacitor and I was up and running. It was good that it happened though because there was some nicked insulation and frayed wiring that needed to be cleaned up anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.