Whisperflo running very loud (video included)

ernest787

Feb 13, 2021
texas
Good morning all. Hopefully you all can lead me in the right direction once again.

Background- around January the motor on my pump failed. Bought a new motor and installed it with no issue. In March, we went on vacation for a week and came back to the pump running really loud. Checked and the pump was running dry. No clue how long it was running like this or how the pump lost pressure.

2 days later I see a leak under the pump. Do some Google searches and realize the shaft seal likely went bad. I replace it and run the pump. It's pumping but it's soooooo loud now.

It's at line 90db and can be heard inside the house. Not sure if the bearings could already be shot due to it malfunctioning when we were out of town or if there is another issue going on.

Pump running dry then leaks then noisy.

Sounds like metal on metal rubbing. Either bearing or the armature rubbing.

Remove the motor and see if the shaft spins freely or you can feel it rubbing.

Either way I think a new motor is in your future.

Where did you buy this motor?

What brand motor?

The motor the correct HP for the impeller?

Pump running dry then leaks then noisy.

Sounds like metal on metal rubbing. Either bearing or the armature rubbing.

Remove the motor and see if the shaft spins freely or you can feel it rubbing.

Either way I think a new motor is in your future.

Where did you buy this motor?

What brand motor?

The motor the correct HP for the impeller?

Thank you for the reply. I was afraid I may need to replace the motor which is a bummer since I just purchased this one a few months ago.

I bought it from pool supply unlimited. It is a direct replacement for the original motor so should be good.

I'll go ahead and take it back apart a bit later and make sure everything is spinning freely but I did take it apart Saturday and put it back together and cleaned out the impeller and don't remember any issues with it rubbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.