Whisperflo Motor Swap

Flipsonic

Aug 3, 2019
Northern California
My Whisperflo 1 HP motor finally died after 15 years. The replacement VS pump will not be installed for another week. The summer sun is unforgiving out here in Northern California. Not to mention it has been hot. I’m doing all I can to prevent algae. I can’t leave it unfiltered for another week. Since I hardly use my sheer descent pump, I’m thinking of temporarily swapping the motors. They are both Whisperflo. The difference is the sheer descent motor is 2 HP. Can I swap them temporarily? I have a feeling the answer is no but thought I should ask anyway.

It should be pretty straightforward. You could just pull out the whole back end and install it without taking it apart. That would increase the power to 2 hp. If you don't want the increase in power, swap the impeller to the smaller one. You should not need to remove the motor from the sealplate.

Don't remove those bolts. Remove the 6 outer bolts and pull back the assembly. Water will come out. You can remove the 2 drain plugs to drain the water before you start.

Remove the diffuser and impeller from each assembly and put the smaller pool impeller on the motor and reinstall.

Why not just swap the entire unit, basket and all, instead of messing around with the motor?
If the pumps had identical unions, that would be a good idea. If not, you would have to do some plumbing, which is probably best avoided at this point.

Also, note that it looks like the pump has been leaking, which means that the seal is probably bad. You can replace it if necessary.

You aren't understanding me. If you have two units that, as James W stated, have identical unions it would be infinitely easier, I would think, to just remove the entire dead pump and insert your other pump, basket and all, while waiting for the replacement. If you swap out the motor you will probably need a new seal and, possibly, other things (gaskets, etc.).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You might not have to change the wiring if the cord will reach the new location and the switch is not specific to the pool.
In this case, yes I have to change the wirings. They are not long enough and are specific for each pump. The pool pump is timer activated and the sheer descent is manual switch activated. I guess I’ll have to bolt the dead motor on to the sheer descent to keep it a closed system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.