Which test first

Jul 19, 2017
LA
New test kit just came in and I'd like to know where I should start and what order do I do these tests in. I understand that I won't do each test every day but I assume that I need to do them all today since I'm starting from new.

Welcome and good job at getting a test kit!

The TF 100 has a card in it that lists the tests. You should first mix your CYA solution as it needs to sit a bit.

Then you can do the FC test, the pH, skip the OTO (blue box) chlorine test, do the TA test, and if your pool is gunite or you are concerned of high calcium, the CH test.

See this -- Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

Take care.

Congrats on getting the kit and welcome to TFP!

Do them in this order:

FC
CC
PH (only valid if FC is 10 or less)
TA
CH
CYA (Back to full sunshine, vial at waist level)

Post them up!

Also, if you could please fill out your signature as it will help us guide you correctly as different types of pools and equipment have different needs. Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Ask if you run into any trouble. Here are some more detailed test kit instructions: Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

I tried to fill in my signature the other day but it wouldn't let me from my phone. I'll have to get on the computer tonight to change it. It's an intex 16x48 with 16 inch sand filter.

Do I need to wait until dark to do any of the tests or can they be done right now?

All of them can be done in the sunlight. The CYA test must be, preferably bright sunshine. Have the sun at your back and hold the vial at your waist. Fill to the 100 line, glance to see if you can see the dot, if you can, fill to 90, repeat, until you cannot see the dot with a glance. If you stare at the dot, you will see it far longer!

Take care.

Oh gosh. I feel like a dingbat. I read "vial at waist level" and I got my behind in the pool to get waist level water. Durh! Anyways. I filled the entire tube up and can still see the black dot. Not a surprise as I've only poured some bleach in the water while I was waiting on my test kit.

Oh gosh. I feel like a dingbat. I read "vial at waist level" and I got my behind in the pool to get waist level water. Durh! Anyways. I filled the entire tube up and can still see the black dot. Not a surprise as I've only poured some bleach in the water while I was waiting on my test kit.

Now there is a vision!!!!

I should have asked if you had added any CYA or other items containing CYA. At least you practiced on the test procedure -- though you do not have to go into the pool next time!

You need to start adding CYA and keep your FC up using liquid chlorine (bleach). Use PoolMath and follow Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals.

Let us know if you have questions!!

Did you read this and follow it on the Pool School page --
Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.

I did. I wiped it with a damp microfiber cloth scrap. Does it matter what it's wiped with?

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I got

FC 0.2
PH 8.2 (it was actually a little darker than the 8.2)
TA 320
CYA 0

I think I'm gonna test the TA again with a damp paper towel instead before I add anything to the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you fill from a municipal water supply? If so, they must provide a water analysis. Your TA may be high if you have high pH water. It just means that acid additions to your pool water will be in your future!

When you can -- please look at this -- Pool School - Getting Started

We can help you better if you complete your signature. Thanks.

Yes. It's city water. We don't have a well. I will test it again and get on the computer tonight to fill in my signature. I feel a little overwhelmed with all these little bottles and tubes in the kit! Thanks for your assistance!

You are a mad chemist now!!!

Your city should have a website with the water analysis posted.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.