Which SWG is/are the best?

TazDoug

Jul 3, 2019
San Jose, CA
I have a couple of questions here.
First, it seems like this is a really good way to go.
Seems like having chlorine generated on demand would be a lot less headaches than my current situation where my tap water is pretty hard, I believe (I will measure the hardness to know for sure) but I've been using Calcium Hypochlorite which continues to add to my water hardness problem. I will also measure my pool water hardness but I have done this a couple of times and it is very high (700+).
I like the CalHypo because it is relatively easy to buy and keep on hand. I haven't found a good source of liquid chlorine which is probably the best choice and that could be eliminated, I think, if I went to a SWG.

Here are my questions:

1. What headaches do I trade for going to a SWG system from what I already have?
2. Which are the best SWG systems?

Thanks so much!
Doug

Using Cal Hypo if you have hard water is not a great idea.

What test kit do you have? You need an accurate reading for the CH in your pool water. If near or above 800ppm, it is likely time for a healthy water exchange to lower it.

With a SWCG, it is preferred to have a slightly negative CSI - Calcium Saturation Index (CSI) - Trouble Free Pool. This keeps the cell from scaling up. What is your CSI? It is a calculated value using Poolmath.

There are a number of good SWCG's. As you have a Pentair VS pump, do you have automation? Do you run the pump 24/7?

I am a huge SWG convert.. I'll carry that banner where ever...I converted to an SWG in 2005 and haven't looked back since. I love the convenience, it makes the pool chem easier since it creates CL at a slow constant rate, the water feels better and is less irritating, And you don't have to fuss with CL bottles... The Downsides: you get lazy because it makes chlorine for you, so there is less reason the test everyday; it doesn't work in the winter when the temp drops, and its another piece of equipment to keep track of.
I'll let you decide what works best for you. There are SWG out there that have higher capacity outputs that what I have now.. And if you have or think you might be getting automation that might factor into what SWG manufacturer you would lean toward.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyAZPool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.