Connecticut shoreline
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hello, newbie here and trying very hard to learn how to manage my saltwater pool!

My CYA is a little low (about 50 and should be 70-80ppm). PoolMath says to add Dry Stabilizer. What exactly is recommended for SWG? I want to avoid dumping in the wrong stuff — like I did the first week I had my pool (after going to the pool store! 🤦🏻‍♀️) Specific name would help and where I can find it. My pool store sells a lot of BioGuard products.

Other notes: my pH was also high (8.2) but I have been bringing that down with muriatic acid. I need to retest but it’s probably at 7.4 now. My TA was also quite high at 120 so my understanding is I need to use MA to bring pH down to 7.0-7.2 (which sounds like also brings down the TA) and then aerate to increase the PH on its own. Did I get that right???

Skip the pool store, go to Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes. They all generally have a seasonal pool section.

They are all the same, so don't worry about brand. The bottle will say Cyanuric acid, stabilizer or conditioner.

CYA is available as a solid granular or powder and as a liquid. The liquid costs a lot more (usually about 3X the price of granular solid CYA), and generally is not worth the extra expense. In the US is will usually be the granular or liquid.

Please ignore teh instruction on the bottle ot pour it in a skimmer. Granular stabilizer is best added by placing it in a sock or nylon and hanging that sock in front of fast moving return(s). Shaking and squeezing the sock while in the pool water will help the stabilizer dissolve faster.

Alternatively, the sock can be placed into the skimmer basket BUT it should only be left in there if the pump is continuously running and not turned on and off by a timer. CYA is acidic when it dissolves into water and so it is not a good idea to leave the sock in the skimmer without the pump running.

A,

Do you have an auto-cover??

I usually buy my CYA from Amazon, but have found that prices have gone through the roof.

As long as it is just CYA and sold as CYA stabilizer, they are all about the same.

Thanks,

Jim R.

My pool store sells this brand of dry stabilizer, along with the granular type. This is a fine power and quick dissolve, and is in pre-measured 1lb packets. I find this a lot easier than the granular where I have to use a skimmer sock to let it dissolve over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.