Which size cartridge filter?

azxd09

Apr 22, 2011
Gilbert, AZ
Apologize in advance if this has been asked before, but didn't find anything on a quick search.

I have a 60sqft DE filter that I am looking to replace with a cartridge filter. What is the closest equivalent cartridge size?

I have a 1.5 hp pump, but not sure on actual flow rate. I have in-floor cleaners, so the pump and filter is probably a bit over sized for the reason. (pool size is ~12k gal).

As far as filter brands go, in the searches I did, Pentair and Jandy are both about the same as far as quality goes. Is this still the same today? Any reason to go with one over the other that I am missing?

Thanks all in advance!

Bigger the better.
Where are you located? Your profile and signature are empty and would have provide feedback:
Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

60sqft DE is already double the size that would be needed for the 12k pool. Why are you looking to change?
I would suggest at least a 200sqft cartridge although 400sqft would be closer to an "equivalent over-sizing"

Thanks for the quick reply. I have updated my profile and signature, thanks for the reminder!

I am not looking to change right now, but want to be prepared with what I want to move to if my filter failed. The filter is from 2001, so just want to be prepared.

Since the filter is quite over sized, I never backwash, and just remove, hose off, and recharge with DE 2-3 times per year. In that sense, it is similar to caring for a cartridge filter, with the exception of recharging with DE.

Thanks again for the info, this is helpful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.