which pump and how much run time

Todd Kroehle

Jun 7, 2019
Olmsted Twp., Ohio
20 x 40 in ground vinyl in Cleveland. Had been running Blue Torrent AC IMP1500 (constant speed) for 24/7, DE filter with fiber clear. I use a Dolphin Supreme M4 on a regular basis which keeps the bottom clean. This setup has kept my pool crystal clear and once it's balanced after opening, I only have to backwash and replace fiber clear 2-3 times a season.

The pump housing is now cracked and leaking after only 2 years in service. Would I be better with a 2 speed or variable speed and a different run time?

Thanks,
Todd

Let me start by saying that I'm mostly a lurker and by no means an expert.

For run time, check out Determine Pump Run Time - Trouble Free Pool.

A few years ago, I switched from a single-speed 1HP to a 2-speed 1HP max. I run on low speed most of the time (except for manual vacuuming), and have a timer for running 3 hours a day (9PM-12PM).

Since I don't have a SWG or any special features, the additional cost of a variable speed didn't make sense for me. However, if I had an inground pool, our local electric company (ComEd) has a $275 rebate for variable speed pumps - the inground restriction doesn;t make sense to me, but it's their program to do with as they want.

Please put details of your pool in your signature. It helps us help you better.

How do you chlorinate your pool? Do you have a SWG?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.