Which product/brand for increasing Calcium Hardness?

JanaDs

Aug 6, 2022
Orlando, Fl
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Sorry but I can’t find where to search because I’m sure this has been answered already.

Which product/brand is everyone’s favorite to increase calcium hardness?

Thanks so much! I’ve learned so much here.

Do make sure it's pure calcium chloride. Stuff at Lowes may be intended for de-icing. In that case it can have other stuff mixed in. You need as close to 100% CaCl as you can get. I have used this stuff with success in the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: wildfan
I just jumped on here to ask the same question. My supply of Leslie's Hardness Plus is running low, and I was wondering if I'm crazy, or is that stuff far from 100% calcium? My pool chem dose calculator gives two dose amounts - one for 77% calcium and one for 100% calcium. I can only assume that Leslie's is the 77% one, because the results I get using the 77% dosage are much more in line. I never seem to get to my target hardness using the 100% dose amount. Unfortunately, Leslie's keeps the percentage level a secret. Anyone else find this to be true? What brands are people using?

My pool chem dose calculator gives two dose amounts - one for 77% calcium and one for 100% calcium.
What is that? You do NOT want to use a product that only has 77% calcium chloride in it. The other 23% can mess things up.

I've always used this. Works well, and cheap. Pour water into a 5 gallon bucket, and add some of the Calcium Chloride, then mix/stir (it will get HOT), and then dump into pool.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've always used this. Works well, and cheap. Pour water into a 5 gallon bucket, and add some of the Calcium Chloride, then mix/stir (it will get HOT), and then dump into pool.
Please do not do this.

Calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool. Do not mix calcium in a small bucket of water. Calcium is exothermic and will generate heat when mixed with water to where it can cause burns or fires.

I stand corrected. I've doing this for each of my previous 3 pool start ups when CH was needed, but if that's a risk others shouldn't take then I'll advice not to premix anymore. I just really dislike the idea of dumping Calcium Chloride directly into the pool, personally.

Oh I only mix a small amount of the 25lb bag -- I'd say roughly 1/5 to 1/10 of the bag at MOST when I premix in the 5 gallon bucket and stir it up, dump, and repeat. I can't imagine mixing the entire or half the bag, lol.

EDIT -- I have a really nice cement mixer I use for stirring everything up. Works great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.