Which ones to tackle first.

In the past I couldn’t get correct readings for cya, so they advised me to add the little dropper to 7.5 with pool water, then fill to 15 with tap water. Shake/mix then squeeze out to keep 7.5. Then add the regiment till it’s at 15. Mix wait 30 seconds, shake and see if I can see the black dot. Then double that number.
That sounds like teh "diluted" CYA test for people who think their CYA is over 100. Since the CYA test stops at 100, they mix half teh pool water with tap water then DOUBLE the test result to get the true CYA (i.e. 120, 140, 180, etc).

Reactions: JoniTull
Below is the normal CYA test. Please do that test again tomorrow using the notes I gave you above as well. You'll see in this link the diluted portion stars at Step #8, so hopefully you can avoid that portion. With the regular test, we don't double the results, so hopefully your CYA is actually much lower.

Below is the normal CYA test. Please do that test again tomorrow using the notes I gave you above as well. You'll see in this link the diluted portion stars at Step #8, so hopefully you can avoid that portion. With the regular test, we don't double the results, so hopefully your CYA is actually much lower.

Ok I retested without using the diluted method.
My CYA is 50-60. More 50. So that was the problem.
I just added the rest of the second gallon of bleach and I’ll see what it looks like tomorrow.
On another note, algicide. I am still confused on which one to use. I know you all recommend just to keep your water balanced and it’ll will keep algae away.
I was so desperate last night, I picked up the Clorox brand, the one containing copper. I know you all say copper is not good for your pool long term but if I can’t get a hold of this algae bloom, I have that as a back up. I’m afraid it may be mustard algae.
Thanks again for everyone’s help.

Do not use the algicide period because it'll do nothing for your problem. You need chlorine in the liquid form and lots of it. You need to slam at minimum for 50 but I think your better off slamming for 60 which is FC of 24. Keep adding until you reach it and any amount less then that will not accomplish getting rid of the algae.

Do not use the algicide period because it'll do nothing for your problem. You need chlorine in the liquid form and lots of it. You need to slam at minimum for 50 but I think your better off slamming for 60 which is FC of 24. Keep adding until you reach it and any amount less then that will not accomplish getting rid of the algae.
Geez, I’m feeling defeated about now.
Yesterday the water looked murky and you can tell something is wanting to get bad. I added my last gallon of bleach last night.
This morning it looked a tad better but still not resolved. My numbers
PH 7.2
FC 1.5
CC 1.5
TA 70
CYA 50
I did vacumn and it’s helping keeping it off the floor. Both of my the wm near me are OUT of liquid chlorine and my daughter went to pick me up bleach but said in the pool section everything was out except GV pool shock with Sodium Dichloro-s- Triazineetrione, (she didn’t look in the laundry section).
Is this similar to what’s in liquid chlorine? Could I use this? It’s seems I’ve read that I shouldn’t use it.

My FC is so low and it seemed when I used 1 1/2 jugs of bleach it’s was still low in the morning. As well as when I used 2 jugs.
Im only adding the bleach at night, to avoid the sunlight.
Should I be adding more bleach than 1-2 jugs? More times a day?

I see the chart to what to bring my FC to according to my cya readings but don’t see or can figure how much bleach to use. Is that just on pool math?
I just feel like I’m not adding enough or not often enough to have my FC stay at 1.5, when it needs to be at 24.

I’m going to a hardware store tomorrow morning and see if they have liquid chlorine and grab bleach from the local store. I’m about 30-40 mins from any pool stores.
I do believe it will work but feel like I’m doing something incorrect since my fc is not moving.
Thank you all again!!

If you're trying to slam you need to maintain that slam level as much as possible atleast 3 to 4 times a day otherwise your chlorine is doing nothing or say very little next to none. The only way to rid the pool of algae is achieve that slam number and nothing less.

Reactions: ccbill
If you're trying to slam you need to maintain that slam level as much as possible atleast 3 to 4 times a day otherwise your chlorine is doing nothing or say very little next to none. The only way to rid the pool of algae is achieve that slam number and nothing less.
Ok I will do this. I was trying to do the bleach at night. I’ll keep you posted.

Reactions: Newdude
You got this Sis. (y)

It was alot to process at first but you're getting there. And I should know. I needed the idiots guide to understand the idiots guide. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.