Which measurements will SLAM skew?

threecheese

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 14, 2014
Long Island, NY
I SLAM'd my pool to open it (mesh cover; black water), I've had to do it twice over the past 10 days to get the water clear and kill all the algae. I just added 6gal 10% liquid last night, so FC is very high and so is CC (I can smell it).

I just used my Taylor K-2006 to measure my levels. I was surprised to find that my TA and CH measured extremely low, both under 40ppm, which has me adding 100 pounds of chems in total?!?!?

Can it be that SLAM is skewing these measurements? Or could it be that leaving my test kit in an unheated garage over the winter caused the reagents to degrade?

Hi,
Slamming doesnt effect the TA or CH. It will however effect the pH test if the FC level is above 10. With FC above 10, the pH will test a false high.
If you are in doubt, wait until the FC is back to a more normal range and re-test.

At high chlorine levels the TA test can shift from green>pink to blue> yellow or some variation in between. The result is still accurate if you just pay attention to the color change and not what color.

If you've been backwashing or vacuuming to waste a lot, you might have diluted things

At high chlorine levels the TA test can shift from green>pink to blue> yellow or some variation in between. The result is still accurate if you just pay attention to the color change and not what color.

If you've been backwashing or vacuuming to waste a lot, you might have diluted things

Great point, I probably replaced a foot of water (3 or 4 hours of vaccing to waste so far). I didn't even think about that. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.