Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I’m trying to decide if I should up my percentage setting for a shorter period of time or keep it lower and run the pump all day or does it matter? I’ve been running it for 12 hrs a day and that was fine for winter, but I’m needing to up it now. Last summer I ran it 24/7 and it worked but our power bill went up quite a bit. I’m wondering if setting it super high for shorter will work just as well or is that harder on the SWG? I’d just like to know pros and cons of all of it.

From a chlorine perspective high % and shorter pump run is exactly the same as low % and longer pump run. NO difference.

Longer pump run time will give you more skimming. You need to decide how much pump runtime you need at what speed to skim the pool and keep it as clean as you want.

Do you have a variable speed pump? I started reading lots of folks talking about how leaving it running 24/7 at a few hundred RPM above whatever keeps the SWG flow switch closed is an economical solution. I think my pump at 1200rpm draws something like 90-100w, so just like leaving a single light bulb on. Then I program enough time at a slightly higher RPM for my floor cleaners to run and keep the surface skimmer of floating debris.

The higher RPM the pump runs at, you'll start to see less flow thru your system and more power used.

SWG runtime shouldn't matter, if I remember correctly. It's either producing or not, and it needs the same amount of electricity to make the chlorine. Theoretically you could run your pump at the lowest RPM and 100% SWG cycle for your absolute lowest number.

Reactions: Nikilyn
What's the lowest rpm you can run the pump at and close the SWG flow switch?
At that rpm, how may watts does the pump use?

I run my pump 24/7 - 4 hours per day at 2900 rpm for the IFCS and 20 hours per day at 1200 rpm (SWG flow switch will close at 900 rpm). At 1200 rpm, the pump uses about 100-110 watts/hour. It costs me less than $20 per month to run the pool pump.

What's the lowest rpm you can run the pump at and close the SWG flow switch?
At that rpm, how may watts does the pump use?

I run my pump 24/7 - 4 hours per day at 2900 rpm for the IFCS and 20 hours per day at 1200 rpm (SWG flow switch will close at 900 rpm). At 1200 rpm, the pump uses about 100-110 watts/hour. It costs me less than $20 per month to run the pool pump.
This is very helpful since we have the same weather and electric rates to deal with. Do you have an IC40? I can't figure out how to get mine to run 24 hours. I have to program it to turn off for a minute and then go back on. I don't like it but couldn't figure out another way.

We are probably within 5-15 miles. :cool:

I have a Circupool RJ 45+
I see you have an Intellicenter - one of the Intellicenter gurus ( @MyAZPool ) will be along to help you set your automation to allow the SWG to run 24/7.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.