ottawa, ontario, canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hi, water tested 1 week ago 5100ppm at the nearby store. Ideal is 3750. Cell was blinking and saying salt high, believe ScreenLogic reported 4800.

Took out 4” and replaced with city water. ScreenLogic now says 3750 on the dot. Cell not blinking. Nearby store says salt 4500.

While they might often be a bit off when selling chems, in this case me having high salt doesn’t help them sell products. Which do you think is more accurate? The equipment reading or the water test and why?

My thought it if the equipment is happy and not flashing, I should leave it be.

Aaron,

Anyone with a saltwater pool should have a Taylor K-1766 salt test and a speed-stir.

What the Pool Store and the cell report, is more of a guess, then anything accurate.. :mrgreen:

I'd be happy if the cell is happy, except, I start to taste the salt if it is over about 3700 or so.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Aaron,

Anyone with a saltwater pool should have a Taylor K-1766 salt test and a speed-stir.

What the Pool Store and the cell report, is more of a guess, then anything accurate.. :mrgreen:

I'd be happy if the cell is happy, except, I start to taste the salt if it is over about 3700 or so.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I do have the reagant, from Taylor… will see what it says too. Can’t hurt to have 3 different readings :)

Today I decided to do a bunch of tests and compare results. Eye opening! But first the salt… as that’s what started the thread to begin with. After removing another 2” and replacing with city water, the pool chem store said my salt was 4100, they were happy it had come down they said. I checked myself at home using 2 different test strips and also a reagant test and then the pentair equipment reading.

The equipment reading was 4200, very similar to the pool store.

One manufacturer salt test strip said 4500.
The other manufacturer said 0! Tried another strip. 0 again. Assume bad batch.

Reagant test showed 3400. This is practically ideal and a little low if anything.

So many values to pick from. A bit suspect when the other 3 test types all show above 4K but the reagant shows well under. I am going to leave it be in terms of any more salt additions or water removals.

As for other tests done… I compared 2 different test strips, my pool store, and my tfp-100 kit.

All sources read ph same.
Pool store read FC 2 pts higher than the others which were all same.
All sources read TA same.
All sources read CYA same.
TFP read hardness 50ppm higher than other sources which were same.

End of the day, nice to see so many things matching. Salt values mismatch is a little strange to me.

Today I decided to do a bunch of tests and compare results. Eye opening! But first the salt… as that’s what started the thread to begin with. After removing another 2” and replacing with city water, the pool chem store said my salt was 4100, they were happy it had come down they said. I checked myself at home using 2 different test strips and also a reagant test and then the pentair equipment reading.

The equipment reading was 4200, very similar to the pool store.

One manufacturer salt test strip said 4500.
The other manufacturer said 0! Tried another strip. 0 again. Assume bad batch.

Reagant test showed 3400. This is practically ideal and a little low if anything.

So many values to pick from. A bit suspect when the other 3 test types all show above 4K but the reagant shows well under. I am going to leave it be in terms of any more salt additions or water removals.

As for other tests done… I compared 2 different test strips, my pool store, and my tfp-100 kit.

All sources read ph same.
Pool store read FC 2 pts higher than the others which were all same.
All sources read TA same.
All sources read CYA same.
TFP read hardness 50ppm higher than other sources which were same.

End of the day, nice to see so many things matching. Salt values mismatch is a little strange to me.
The Taylor salt test has an error tolerance of +\- 200ppm and so the other tests may have similar tolerance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.