Which Hayward VS Pump

browerjs

Oct 30, 2019
Beavercreek, OH
I'm currently having a pool installed it's around 20-22k gallons. I think the head length is someone short (I'm new to this, so I"m not sure), pumping station is about 20 feet from the pool. They installed a 1HP Single speed SuperPump, and the thing is way too loud for my liking, it's right outside of my bedroom, so I can hear it at night. It's also going to be loud on the pool deck, so I'm going to have them swap it out with a Hayward VS. The problem is I don't know which one. I think the current one has 1.5" fittings.

My number one priority is running it quiet. Second priority energy savings. I see there is a MaxFlo, SuperPump, EcoStar, and TriStar.

Welcome to TFP.

Do you have Hayward automation?

Don't get the EchoStar pump. It has had many issues.

I would lean toward theTriStar VS pump.

I don't have automation, although I may upgrade at some point in the future.

The pump and the automation need to communicate so give some thought to both when you decide on the pump.

My number one priority is running it quiet. Second priority energy savings. I see there is a MaxFlo, SuperPump, EcoStar, and TriStar.

I replaced my single speed with a Hayward TrisStar VS 900 Omni. No salt system, but I had the Polaris pump and lighting connected up to be controlled by the Omni automation. No regrets. I wouldn't say it's particularly quiet running at full speed, but I really only do that when the Polaris is running (the booster pump for the Polaris is WAY louder). Running at medium speed and below, it's pretty quiet.

Our PB owner upgraded our pump from the original spec’ed single speed Hayward to the Tri Star VS950 from the get go. We have 3” pipe. I run it pretty much 24/7 on low to medium. The only time it runs above that is to prime or when the heater is on (then 80%). Its located on our bedroom wall and unless its running above 80% I don't notice it... It’s quiet and has been solid this first year. We are also automated with the basic Hayward Omni-VS to control, heat, pump speed, lights and the water feature valves.

Last edited:
I head back from my installer, and they can get me into the Super Pump VS (sp2670020vsp) for $400. I'm curious if i should just get this one, or go with one of the others, like the TriStar. Are they all going to be about the same noise level?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.