Which Hayward pump is the best for inground? They have so many models and I can't tell which is the highest end one.

psychobunny

May 23, 2022
Toronto
If I need to replace my pump, what model from Hayward is the best? I counted 13 different ones they have which doesn't make it easy as they all sound so similar. We have 1.5" plumbing if that matters, and the current one is 2hp but it seems to be way too powerful which is causing our issues.

I can post the stats on the pool after checking as I can't recall off hand but it's at least 20,000 gallons in ground and saltwater plus a smaller "tanning pool" that's attached to it.

Not looking for a specific recommendation on a model, more which is Hayward's highest end pump as I want the best there is if I have to replace this one.

Second question, my dad is adamant that everyone has 1 speed pumps only and that no one uses dual. Reading online it sounds like variable speed would be best but he's saying to just get a single speed. I want a pump that's as quiet as absolutely possible as in I don't want to hear it if I don't have to, so I'm fine paying more for something quiet. Variable sounded ideal since it says you want the lowest flow possible while still cycling the water. Is there anything to consider when going variable or am I asking for trouble? Energy savings are nice and all but I'm in Canada so this isn't a year round thing. I'm more interested in quiet operation vs saving money, and would as mentioned pay more if it means it being quieter as I hate hearing it.

FWIW my old pump was a Hayward Super Pump and the new one is the Super II, which to be honest I'm still not really sure the difference between the 2 of them other than they look a bit different. There's a Super Pump VS but then it says for small to medium sized pools and mine is definitely not small. I'm fine getting a Super Pump or Super II again I just hate buying the same thing I already have, so if there's better models please let me know!

Super Pump = medium head pump. Super 2 = high head pump.
Right now Hayward's highest end pump is the W3SP3206VSP.
If you want to control your pump via wifi you can look into the TriStar VS950 Omni. Same pump with the ability to be controlled remotely.

Super Pump = medium head pump. Super 2 = high head pump.
Right now Hayward's highest end pump is the W3SP3206VSP.
If you want to control your pump via wifi you can look into the TriStar VS950 Omni. Same pump with the ability to be controlled remotely.

Thanks that pump looks great! Only question though is it mentions 2" but my plumbing is 1.5" so is that an issue? I ask because it was thought that that might be the issue I'm having with the Super II pump right now as it's 2hp and says 2" but my plumbing is 1.5". I had a Hayward Super which was also 2hp and it died last year after only a few years of use (got so hot it basically melted). I then replaced it with the Super II as that was the only thing in stock at the time, but it rattles and is so noisy the entire cabana vibrates so we thought maybe the 2" and 2hp was the issue.

A VSP can be turned down so the flow through 1.5" plumbing won't be an issue. Hayward also makes a 1.85 thp pump, W3SP3202VSP that is very good.
The larger 2.7thp pump can be run even slower, get the same flow, and cost less to run than the 1.85.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.