Which Hayward pump is equivalent to a 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo Pump

Which Hayward pump is equivalent to a 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo Pump?
Why is that relevant to a new build?

How did you decide that that would be a good choice for a pump?

The right pump depends on what the pump needs to do.

The best way to choose a pump is to determine the system curve or system curves for various configurations of the system and then determine the flow rate required for each system configuration (for example, solar on vs. solar off would be a different configuration with a different system curve and a different required flow rate).

Once you have a graph of the system curves and flow rates, you plot the pump performance curves for different pumps or curves for various speeds of a variable speed pump to see if the intersection of the pump curve and the system curve (called the operating point) is in the part of the pump curve labeled as the best efficiency range (typically in the middle third of the pump curve) and the operating point needs to be at the required flow rate.

In any case, the pump should be a variable speed pump. By going with a larger variable speed pump, you should be able to meet the needs of most pool systems unless they are unusual.

For most typical pools, a large variable speed pump will usually work.

What are the details of the new pool?

Last edited:
Thank you for the feed back, so much to soak in at one time lol, this will be my second pool build but with a different builder. Honestly, im just going by what equipment my previous pool had, it was a simple set up that worked good for my needs, single speed 1.5 Pentair Whisper flo, Pentair DE filter, Jandy SWG., all on a intermatic timer.

only this time new builder uses Hayward equipment,

The only thing i want to change now is go with a 2 speed pump. at this time im not interested on a VS speed. I think the 2speed pump will work better if im on a intermatic timer?

The only thing i want to change now is go with a 2 speed pump. at this time im not interested on a VS speed. I think the 2speed pump will work better if im on a intermatic timer?
I highly recommend the Larger TriStar VS pump and the newest automation with integrated SWG to make everything work together.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.