Which diameter PVC for a long run?

Ryfq

May 13, 2018
Hendersonville, TN
Hello all.

I'm looking to hard plumb our pool this year. I've been scouring all of the great information on here (there is a TON). One point I keep flip-flopping on is what size diameter PVC to use. The PVC run will be around 60' in length. I see most people say 1-1/2 is plenty, but then I see things about keeping water velocity below 6ft/sec on the suction side. Unless I'm confused, this may warrant 2" PVC because I think my 1.5 HP pump may be oversized for our 18' AGP. Hopefully one of you smarter people can help me out on this one. Here are the relevant details:

18'x54" Saltwater 8000 Round Pool
Hydrotools Cartridge Filter System 1.5HP Pump
PVC run length: 60'
Pump will be approx 3 feet higher elevation than pool.

Thanks very much.

Pump will be approx 3 feet higher elevation than pool.
Your pump is an Above Ground pump system. It is not self priming. So the pump must be located below the surface of the pool water to operate.

Your pump is an Above Ground pump system. It is not self priming. So the pump must be located below the surface of the pool water to operate.
Right. I guess I got a little hasty in throwing measurements around. I was measuring from the ground at the base of the pool where it sat last year. So the pump will actually still be at least a foot below the surface of the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.