Which Design would you recommend!

Hmmmm.... what do I see....

Do I see one of those sheer descent walls on the farthest edge from the house? Will you be able to reach over to brush below that?

The stairway on the first one intrudes into the patio, right where people will be walking back and forth from spa to bar and also to the house. Looks like an accident waiting to happen. Picture two shows the heater right outside a window. I think that's a code violation unless the window is unopenable or you install a flue.

I agree that I see problems with both. Not enough room to walk between steps and house in picture one, though I prefer the spa to the side instead of blocking view to the pool closer to the house. I can’t tell where your steps to pool are for picture 2? I can’t see detail very well on my phone, but it would be nice to see same angle view for each. Fun project though! This will be a great space.

Do I see one of those sheer descent walls on the farthest edge from the house? Will you be able to reach over to brush below that?

The stairway on the first one intrudes into the patio, right where people will be walking back and forth from spa to bar and also to the house. Looks like an accident waiting to happen. Picture two shows the heater right outside a window. I think that's a code violation unless the window is unopenable or you install a flue.
agree with the stairs, we told the designer to remove the stairs there (seemed like a weird place to put it). Also disregard the heater by the window, will be moved above 7 feet out towards the fence, as you stated would be a code violation otherwise.

I agree that I see problems with both. Not enough room to walk between steps and house in picture one, though I prefer the spa to the side instead of blocking view to the pool closer to the house. I can’t tell where your steps to pool are for picture 2? I can’t see detail very well on my phone, but it would be nice to see same angle view for each. Fun project though! This will be a great space.
here is a better angle to see the steps in picture 2: As you can see we would have a small ledge (maybe 4 feet, but I don't know that I can get it much longer than 4 feet, that would still leave about 13-15 feet wide for swimmable pool. If we go about 6-7 feet on the ledge, seems like a lot of wasted space to put it the length of the pool and the swimmable pool space would be very narrow (11-12 feet wide, but perhaps this is still good)

1589370684105.png

I like the first one because it has the hot tub off to the side rather than blocking the view of the pool. It also gives you a nice open pool area and sun shelf. I would tuck the stairs off to the side in the blank area by the hot tub or sun shelf. Maybe shift the sun shelf or hot tub south in the photo?

I like the first one because it has the hot tub off to the side rather than blocking the view of the pool. It also gives you a nice open pool area and sun shelf. I would tuck the stairs off to the side in the blank area by the hot tub or sun shelf. Maybe shift the sun shelf or hot tub south in the photo?
Before reading the comments this was my thought. I think it solves the stairs blocking the main walkway and spa visibility issues at the expense of perfect balance. Only other suggestion would be possibly stairs next to both the the sun shelf and spa. Stairs add great in-pool seating so an extra set of stairs also serves that purpose.

Reactions: naperthrill

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Richard, do the experts tend to advise against having a sheer descent wall? would it be better to have more of a grotto in the center instead? Didn't realize there may be some downsides to having a sheer descent wall, there probably would not be a lot of ability to get behind it given the length of our yard.

Richard, do the experts tend to advise against having a sheer descent wall? would it be better to have more of a grotto in the center instead? Didn't realize there may be some downsides to having a sheer descent wall, there probably would not be a lot of ability to get behind it given the length of our yard.
Not sure I understand the issue with brushing below the wall. We have a wall with 3 sheer descents and the robot cleans/brushes just like the other 3 sides of the pool. The rare times that I manually brush, I will just walk on top of the wall and brush....no issues. 20200508_135108.jpg

Not sure I understand the issue with brushing below the wall. We have a wall with 3 sheer descents and the robot cleans/brushes just like the other 3 sides of the pool. The rare times that I manually brush, I will just walk on top of the wall and brush....no issues. View attachment 138700
thats good to know, we would like some kind of focal point for our pool that can be seen from the inside of the house. yours looks great!

Reactions: Berger82
I have no idea what the experts say about sheer descents. I just know that brushing and vacuuming is a lot easier if you can walk all around the pool.
Not sure I understand the issue with brushing below the wall. We have a wall with 3 sheer descents and the robot cleans/brushes just like the other 3 sides of the pool. The rare times that I manually brush, I will just walk on top of the wall and brush....no issues. View attachment 138700
Look again, especially at his second picture. That sheer descent is like 6 feet tall. I wouldn't want to have to lean in and brush sideways around that

I have no idea what the experts say about sheer descents. I just know that brushing and vacuuming is a lot easier if you can walk all around the pool.
Look again, especially at his second picture. That sheer descent is like 6 feet tall. I wouldn't want to have to lean in and brush sideways around that
oh yah, that was originally going to house a TV but I don't think that is safe or possible so the wall for the sheer descent would not be 6 feet tall as pictured. Was more trying to get a sense of design on the spa being in the center closer to the house, or having it off to one side.

Was going to reply in your other thread, but this seems like a better place. I adore symmetry, but by centering everything I think you're compromising both a lot of pool space and yard space.

The steps in the right back corner by the fence seem a little useless, who is walking all the way around to use those? They seem like dirt magnets tucked away in a little used corner like that. Have you thought about putting the spa in the corner nearer to your master bedroom and then adding corner steps next to it? You could even offset the spa square to edge closer to your master bedroom and free up more pool space. That bay window seems like a choke point, is there any way you can shift everything to be centered off your main patio instead of that window? That would leave you with more flexible options for gathering space. Ideally that limited space in front of the bay window could be just the narrow path needed to get from your bedroom patio to the main outdoor living area. If I had my own little patio outside my master bedroom I 100% would make that more of a quiet retreat space and encourage people to hang out elsewhere.

I know you said you haven't figured out the decking plan yet, but you need to consider it all before locking in a design. Figure out where people are going to be and that will help inform the design.

Very rough sketch because it's hard to convey in words. 100% not to scale, but I hope it gets the point across.

poollayout.JPG

Was going to reply in your other thread, but this seems like a better place. I adore symmetry, but by centering everything I think you're compromising both a lot of pool space and yard space.

The steps in the right back corner by the fence seem a little useless, who is walking all the way around to use those? They seem like dirt magnets tucked away in a little used corner like that. Have you thought about putting the spa in the corner nearer to your master bedroom and then adding corner steps next to it? You could even offset the spa square to edge closer to your master bedroom and free up more pool space. That bay window seems like a choke point, is there any way you can shift everything to be centered off your main patio instead of that window? That would leave you with more flexible options for gathering space. Ideally that limited space in front of the bay window could be just the narrow path needed to get from your bedroom patio to the main outdoor living area. If I had my own little patio outside my master bedroom I 100% would make that more of a quiet retreat space and encourage people to hang out elsewhere.

I know you said you haven't figured out the decking plan yet, but you need to consider it all before locking in a design. Figure out where people are going to be and that will help inform the design.

Very rough sketch because it's hard to convey in words. 100% not to scale, but I hope it gets the point across.

View attachment 138818
Agree! I also don't like the steps into the pool from the ledge, rather would have it cut into the ledge than into the pool. Also agree, those steps on the back corner seem useless. May be better to shift the spa to the corner or off as you have it and add a little bench on the end there or something to sit on.

Reactions: RS220
perhaps this illustrates the decking better. There actually isn't as much space on the left for party space, but there is a bit more on the right so likely would have people all around, would try to use the hot tub 18 inches off the ground to also use as some potential seating. here is an update (Wife wanted to keep steps the way they are on the left to have the tanning ledge be consistent throughout). I dont know if I like the bench the way it is in this picture on the right side by the hot tub(maybe because it appears to only be about 12 inches, probably need 14 to sit comfortable. May go back to the steps as it makes more sense with more decking on the right.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 8.48.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 8.48.53 PM.png
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 27

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.