Where to start

algae builder

Jul 15, 2020
ne.
I put up a 18 x48 pool this spring and bought a sand filter salt system,intex model ECO15110-2. Well I thought add the water and then the salt and I am good to go.
i have been fighting the algae staining and my clorinater is full of lime every few days and i have to clean. I tested the water today and everything is way off. FC .5 PH 8.4 TA 325 CA 450 CYA 0 Where do I start to get balance. My pool is 6700 gal. I have not added anything to the pool other than salt.

Welcome to the forum. I assume your location ne is Nebraska? If so, I'm also in Nebraska.

Let's start with the basics. How are you testing the water? The system on this site is based on owner testing and adding only the chemicals which the water needs and the owner knowing the outcome. You'll want to have a good test kit. See Test Kits Compared - Trouble Free Pool for the recommended kits.

Also read these articles - ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry - Trouble Free Pool and Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

These articles will give you a basic foundation of water care and the system we all use here.

Now to your current situation. Start by ordering one of the recommended test kits, since you have a salt system I would recommend you get the salt test as an add on.

You probably have a very low free chlorine due to the use of the salt system without any CYA. If you have not added CYA (sold as stabilizer), there is none in the water. Its purpose is to act as sunscreen for your Chlorine. Your generator cannot produce it faster than the UV from the sun can eat it without CYA in the water. For starters, I would suggest you add 30 ppm of CYA to the water using our sock method. Find an old sock or pantyhose and fill the recommended amount and hang it in front of a return. Squeeze the sock every 15 minutes or so to help the CYA dissolve. Use the PoolMath app to calculate the amount. While the CYA is dissolving, use PoolMath again to calculate 5ppm of Chlorine and add that amount of liquid chlorine/bleach to the pool. Turn off your salt generator and add this same amount of bleach to the pool every day until the kit arrives. Basically, you'll be treating your pool as a chlorine pool until you can get a full set of tests. Once you receive the kit, run a full set of tests and post the results here. We can guide you through everything else at that time.

Welcome! :wave: It's easy to get overwhelmed with info here when you're new, so I'm goign to re-cap a few things:
1. Accurate home water testing is #1 if you want a clean/clear pool. Are you using a TF-100 (link below in my signature) or Taylor K-2006C?
2. You have algae because you have not been maintaining the proper free chlorine (FC) level and/or stabilizer (CYA) level. To kill and remove algae, we follow the SLAM ProcessSLAM Process

New test kit, Taylor k2006c came today. My readings are fc-1 cc- .8 My pool math app. says add 34 oz. of 12.5 liquid clorine. My ph is 8 .2 pool math says to add 2.4 oz. of 31.45%-20 baume muratic acid to get to7.2 ph and then aerate to increase ph. TA-290 CH-275 CYA-30. Salt test kit not here yet. My pool is looking alot better, maybe just a slight green tint to it. Please comment and advise.

Perfect. Start by lowering your PH to a target of 7.2.

Once you've added the acid, let the pump run for about 30 minutes and go straight into SLAM mode. CYA 30 is perfect for SLAM. Add enough bleach to get to 12 PPM FC, test and add back to 12 as often as possible but not more than every few hours. I'm certain by now you've read the SLAM article? If not, read it. Once you start the SLAM, the only tests you need to run are FC and CC. Also, to save reagents, use a 10ML sample of water, 1 heaping scoop of reagent, then each drop counts as .5 PPM instead of .2. This will help you save reagents throughout the SLAM process. Once the water is clear run an OCLT using the 25ML sample.

You do have a fairly high TA, which will likely drive your PH back up into the 8's quickly. The PH test is invalid at FC > 10 which you should be maintaining at all times possible. However, if your first test in the morning yields FC < 10, you could test PH and lower again if PH > 8. Just remember, anytime you add acid, do not add bleach for at least 30 minutes.

Post some pics of the water if you could please, we love watching the transformations throughout the SLAM and it will help you see the progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, you are good to swim up to 12 with CYA 30. If the water is super clear, raise to 12 and keep it there today. Then do an OCLT tonight. If it passes, you should be good to start treating the pool as a salt pool again. You'd want to raise CYA up to 60 or 70, turn on the generator again and enjoy that pool until we run out of good days.

I'm a transplant into Nebraska, didn't grow up here, but I do cheer for the Huskers even though they aren't MY team. Hopefully, we get to have a season and Frost can find a way to turn this program around. I'm in Kearney, I'm sure if I was in Lincoln or Omaha area they'd have beat me into being a super-fan by now.

I added the muratic acid earlier today and just tested ph and ta and they both didn't seem to change at all. Is this surprising? I started the slam tonight and will do it tomorrow. I have been running my pump 24 hr. a day for the last 5 days should I keep doing that thru the slam. Thanks

Now that you are doing the SLAM Process, don't bother with testing the pH or anything else. Focus on maintaining the FC level and all the other tasks on the SLAM page. Oh, and yes, the pump remains on 24/7 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. :)

Finished slam . Water is crystal clear now. My tests today salt 3000, fc-6.5 cc.5 ph=8.4 ta 290 ch-430 csi-1.17 my cya should still be 30. I added 5 oz of muratic acid this time because the 2.4 0z didn't do anything before I started slamming. How long should I wait before testing and adding MA. Need to add CYA and get salt level up a little and my water level needs to go up three or four inches. I'm thinking water first then getting salt and CYA up. Then keep working on high PH TA and CH. Advice and Thanks

When you get a new reagent or test kit, make sure you wipe the tip with a damp cloth after each drop to eliminate static build up. This is only for the first couple of tests of TA. Try it again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.