Where to start...?

Tracey R

Jun 14, 2019
Boerne TX
Hi. I'm new to posting on TFP but have been creeping a few weeks. I've picked up quite a few gems of information. Thank you!

So, I have an above ground 22,000 gal pool (30' round). I've ordered the TF-100 Test Kit, I'm currently using color tabs and a lesser priced dropper kit. My pool is army green through and through. 061819 1430.jpg I'm pretty sure during the spring I caused this CYA level. I tried shocking with a ton of chlorine (not realizing how important the stabilizer levels are). Now I'm paying the price of being uninformed.

I've purchased 16 gallons of 10% bleach from Home Depot (saw that on this site - thank you) so I hope I'm good for chlorine during the slam process so I won't add more CYA.
I've drained approx 3' from the pool and refilled. I have a well so that is the refill water. I've had quite a bit of rain lately also. So far my CYA level is still high.

What do I do? Should I stop adding everything til I get the CYA down? Should I drain more?

Thank you
Tracey

I would stop adding ANYTHING to the water other than chlorine until your test kit arrives. Simply put, everything else is just shooting in the dark. Your only goal is to try to keep it from getting much worse between now and when you can properly test your water. I would add 5 PPM of chlorine every day. Once your kit arrives, run a full set of tests and post them here. With those test results, we will be able to determine your next steps.

Reactions: jmikeb
Hi Tracy,
Welcome to TFP
If you know what your CYA level is, we can provide more advice on what to do. If you haven't received your test kit yet, The just add 1/2 gallon of that 10% chlorine - every day until you get the test kit and can get some reliable test numbers for us. That chlorine addition should at least preventing the algae from reproducing so rapidly during the wait for the kit to arrive. Maybe even add 3/4 gallon of it.

Reactions: Tracey R
Agree with the other poster. The test strips are not reliable enough to be making adjustments to pool chemistry with them. Wait until you get a reliable test kit and simply add 5 parts per million per day of liquid chlorine until then. Based on a pool volume of 22,000 gallons, that's going to be 1 gallon of 10% bleach per day until your kit arrives. Once you get your kit, test your water and post up your results.

Agree with the other poster. The test strips are not reliable enough to be making adjustments to pool chemistry with them. Wait until you get a reliable test kit and simply add 5 parts per million per day of liquid chlorine until then. Based on a pool volume of 22,000 gallons, that's going to be 1 gallon of 10% bleach per day until your kit arrives. Once you get your kit, test your water and post up your results.
I appreciate y'all's help. I'll add another gallon this evening. I added 1 yesterday thinking I couldn't mess things up any worse than they are.
In the future how do I calculate the ppm?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.