Where to drain my water

dford8583

Nov 30, 2019
Mobile, Alabama
I am a new chlorine pool owner after buying our house. I need to perform a water exchange to lower the cya. I am wondering where I can send the exchanged water. I am going to use a submersible pump 1/3 hp superior pump. We are on septic and don’t have sewer where we are at. I have neighbors.
I will need to cycle about 16000 gallons.
-Can I drain the water to my yard or should I send it to street?
-will chlorine water kill my grass?

You can do either. Effects on the grass depend on the type of grass, soil, chemical levels of the water, and saturation level of the area. Sometimes I can let pool water go and it doesn't effect my grass, while other times it turns brown. If you have no HOA or neighborhood concerns, the street is fine as well I suppose. You could always contact your local city or Environmental office to be sure.

Reactions: dford8583
I'm sure you already thought of this, but just to be safe: If you are going to let it loose in your yard make sure it's not near your leach field...don't want a nasty backup into the house!

Reactions: dford8583
Local ordinances may vary. Where I live I can send dechlorinated pool water into the storm sewers, but I'm not allowed to put any pool water down the sanitary sewers. I've seen other members say they are required to send pool water down the sanitary sewers. You may want to check with your local city/jurisdiction before draining into the street just to be sure.

If you have high CYA levels I wouldn't send it to your grass or any other plants in your yard. I did that once with only about 500 gallons and not only did it kill all my grass, but it killed a relatively young Redwood tree that was about 70 FT tall and severely sickened my other one which was much taller and older. It took years for that one to recover. Out here in my neck of the woods (CA) I can drain pool water through my house clean-out tap into the sanitary sewer but not into the storm drain system, so when I wash out my cartridge filters I have to be extra careful of where I do it so not to kill any of my vegetation. As others have said check with you local ordinances which is easy to to. Just google "Pool Water Draining" and put in your City/ST and it should point you to the local county page with all the answers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.