Where to add antifreeze in pool return plumbing?

Glopez313

Jul 15, 2019
Taylor,mi
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone I’m getting ready to close my (inground pool plaster surface 30k gallon. ) I want to be safe on winterizing my return Plumbing. Besides blowing the lines out, where can I add antifreeze on the return plumbing? I have no disconnect unions or anything to add antifreezes.

Pour antifreeze into the skimmer(s).

You can use a funnel to pour some antifreeze into the pool pump suction line through the pump basket.

Antifreeze is optional. If you blow out your lines well antifreeze is not necessary.

Post pics of your pool equipment and let us see what you are dealing with.

I use a funnel shoved into a piece of garden hose. (Or taped if it doesnt fit that year) Then i snake the hose past the first bend of the returns and add the gallon. I use the same setup at the euipment pad for the other lines. The skimmer is the easiest like Allen said, just pour it in.

Pour antifreeze into the skimmer(s).

You can use a funnel to pour some antifreeze into the pool pump suction line through the pump basket.

Antifreeze is optional. If you blow out your lines well antifreeze is not necessary.

Post pics of your pool equipment and let us see what you are dealing with.

A5F1C9C9-E7E7-4629-8696-EE17D13A5AD6.jpeg

Sounds like your only option is to depend on hoping you do a good job when blowing . If there is no unions you can take apart in the return then there is no way to get antifreeze in.
1) lower water below returns and use hose and funnel to add antifreeze there
2). take apart valve by were the return leaves the equipment pad and use hose and funnel there ?? I’ve never taken mine apart but I’m pretty sure it would give you access to the pipes on the inside.

Reactions: Glopez313
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.