Where the heck is all the liquid chlorine??

Bryleemom0709

Sep 18, 2021
North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Every time I go to Walmart, they are almost out. Went tonight and they are COMPLETELY out and said they don’t know when they will get more. I had to buy regular Clorox bleach. Not the concentrated stuff…just regular bleach. Will that be ok?? Any suggestions of where else to try? I do have some pucks (no idea what they are called lol) that the pool store sold me before I found this forum, but I’ve never used any as I think they are Cal-hypo and my pool has done so well with the liquid chlorine I didn’t want to mess anything up. Please help!!

Regular bleach is just fine. Do you have the pool math app? Make sure you put the % strength in the app. Regular bleach is usually about half of what liquid chlorine is, so you’ll need to use more.
I buy my liquid chlorine at Rual King- if you have those in NC. Look everywhere, Lowes, Home Depot, Pool stores, hardware stores, etc.
Pucks are usually Chlorine and CYA. As long as your cya is less than 50 you’re safe to use them as needed in a pinch.
Granual shock is usually chlorine and calcium (cal hypo). Also ok to use if your calcium level is within range (not super high or super low in a vinyl pool)
I do think there is a new puck that is cal hypo, just check your tub.

Regular bleach is just fine. Do you have the pool math app? Make sure you put the % strength in the app. Regular bleach is usually about half of what liquid chlorine is, so you’ll need to use more.
I buy my liquid chlorine at Rual King- if you have those in NC. Look everywhere, Lowes, Home Depot, Pool stores, hardware stores, etc.
Pucks are usually Chlorine and CYA. As long as your cya is less than 50 you’re safe to use them as needed in a pinch.
Granual shock is usually chlorine and calcium (cal hypo). Also ok to use if your calcium level is within range (not super high or super low in a vinyl pool)
I do think there is a new puck that is cal hypo, just check your tub.
I do have the app. I’ll definitely use it. There isn’t anything on the tub…I’m pretty sure the pool store made their own? My CYA is 40. I do have some granual shock from the pool store as well, that I haven’t used (total $400 newbie mistake 🙄)

So that it? Crazy! I would assume they are regular chlorine and cya pucks. Call the pool store to confirm.
I wouldn’t use them right now because your cya is perfect.
You’re calcium can come up higher, so I would feel comfortable using the cal hypo shock as a substitute while you search for more liquid chlorine. But keep an eye on your CH level.

Every time I go to Walmart, they are almost out. Went tonight and they are COMPLETELY out and said they don’t know when they will get more. I had to buy regular Clorox bleach. Not the concentrated stuff…just regular bleach. Will that be ok?? Any suggestions of where else to try? I do have some pucks (no idea what they are called lol) that the pool store sold me before I found this forum, but I’ve never used any as I think they are Cal-hypo and my pool has done so well with the liquid chlorine I didn’t want to mess anything up. Please help!!
Just make sure the bleach is PLAIN. No scents, fabric softeners, or cloromax technology. Try Home Depot or Lowes as well. Even the pool store probably has liquid.

Do you have a Menards? I was having the same issue after our local pool store closed and was so frustrated not being able to find bleach. TFP turned me onto Menards and low and behold not only do they seem to have an endless supply of liquid chlorine the strength is significantly higher and it’s a lot cheaper than Walmart!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've use BJ's Wholesale Club, in Maryland. Looks like they have NC locations in Concord, Fayetteville, & Pineville, if any of those are in your area. I payed $19.99 for (4) 1 Gallon jugs of 12.5%. FWIW ...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.